Full Time Contract
505 East 75th Street
Lycée Français de New York (Primary and Secondary Schools)
Reports to: Director of Digital Learning
Schedule: 10 month position: 4 ½ days Monday - Friday (10am-6pm), ½ day on the weekend
Start Date: 8/13/18
The Lycée Français de New York has adopted a project-based learning approach in order to foster a student-centered learning experience. In order to cultivate project-based teaching and learning, The Lycée has developed new schedules for faculty and students and has constructed new creative spaces -- a media lab and a maker space. The project-based learning integrator will provide opportunities for authentic student work within the Lycée and with outside partners. The position will combine teaching, coaching faculty, coordination, and assisting the Lycée in the management of the media lab and maker space.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Multimedia Integrator and Maker Integrator to continue to improve curricula and teach courses (grades 3-12) that foster students' 21st century skills.
- Develop new early childhood (PreK-2nd grade) curricula that introduce design, media and making skills, for the purpose of integrating with project-based learning efforts in the classroom.
- Co-teach alongside homeroom or subject teachers to incorporate project-based learning strategies, as well as skills associated with media or making (PreK -12th grade).
- Guide independent study of students , both during the school day, after school, and on weekend half-days.
- Plan and lead clubs with the goal of fostering student project-management, media or making skills.
- Coaching Faculty
- Design, coordinate and provide professional learning opportunities for faculty and staff about the implementation of project-based learning.
- Meet with teachers in small groups or one-on-one to assist them in developing project-based units and lessons.
- Provide a "tool kit" of consistent resources that teachers can use across subjects and grade levels when designing and implementing projects.
- Develop mechanisms for sharing project successes and challenges among the faculty.
- Accompany the secondary school faculty as PBL is rolled out in additional levels.
- Management of Media Lab and Maker Space
- Manage equipment and follow the checkout system for students and faculty.
- Assist with scheduling class and individual access to the spaces.
- Make purchasing suggestions to Multimedia Integrator and Maker Integrator
- Collaborate with the Multimedia Integrator and Maker Integrator to streamline processes such as checkout procedures and training protocols.
- Collaborate with the Maker Integrator to maintain safety and emergency procedures and documentation related to the Maker Space.
Chief Personal Characteristics:
- Passionate about student-centered learning, project-based learning and the application of media, technology and tinkering to support these methods.
- Comfortable with a hands-on approach, the use of hand tools, electronics, physical computing, open source hardware and software, and desktop fabrication.
- Experienced as a practitioner and mentor in media and making processes
- Skilled at leveraging the talents of others and solving problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative skills, and customer service orientation.
- Proactive, solutions-oriented mindset.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment.
- Professional, gracious attitude at all times.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills; fluency in French and English preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with adults and students of various competency levels.
- Motivation for learning through professional development and certification training as required by the school and self-identified.
- Expertise in teaching the French curriculum is preferred.
The Lycée Français de New York is steadfast in its purpose to prepare our students today to be the thinkers, innovators and leaders of tomorrow and is committed to mission-driven goals among which:
- Advancing Student Achievement through bilingual, pluricultural education of the highest caliber,
- Designing a learning environment that cultivates curiosity, creativity, independent thinking, intercultural collaboration and communication,
- Equipping all students to thrive in a science-, technology-, engineering- and mathematics intensive world,
- Nurturing the social and emotional learning of students across our challenging program,
- Providing educational support that meets each student's needs and interests,
- Fostering personal growth,
- Developing artistic exploration,
- Promoting School spirit and our place in the New York community by deepen volunteering among students, faculty, staff, parents and alumni,
- Ability and willingness to participate in events outside the workday schedule.
- Must be available on occasion to work evenings and weekends.
- All members of the Digital Learning and IT teams must return from summer vacation the week prior to new teacher orientation (three weeks prior to students' return to class).
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and spoken communication skills; fluency in French and English preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online by using the link provided, and any required supporting documentation (cover letter and resume) must be uploaded via the application form. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled.
Lycée provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment.