247 East 20th Street
LearningSpring School is a dynamic, progressive, child-centered, collaborative non-public school located in New York City, dedicated to educating students in grades K-8 on the autism spectrum. To learn more about our school visit our website at learningspring.org.
We are looking for a Head Teacher for our Elementary School 2018-2019 academic year. The Head Teacher is responsible for providing leadership in our high quality educational programs; supervising the assistant teachers assigned to the classroom; implementing a developmentally appropriate curriculum; maintaining effective and collaborative relationships with open communication with parents and staff members; and ensuring the safety of students and staff assigned to the classroom. Our classrooms have eight students, one head teacher and two assistant teachers.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Concentration in special education or related area preferred.
- Master’s Degree in special education or related area required.
- Two years teaching experience in a special education classroom.
- Able to seek supervision and use it constructively.
- Tact, discretion, confidentiality and common sense.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of children's physical, social, emotional and cognitive developmental patterns and developmentally appropriate practice.
- Sufficient maturity and good judgment to function in high pressure situations.
- NYS Teacher Certification in Students with Disabilities – Grades 1-6
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Physical Requirements and Essential Functions:
- Must be able to control and restrain students under your supervision. Must be able to lift, carry and hold students and classroom equipment.
- Must be able to maintain visual and auditory supervision of students.
- Must be able to accompany students to various parts of the building and outdoor space for meals, activities, fire drills.
- Must have physical stamina and flexibility (walking, bending, stooping, crawling, kneeling, running, stretching, reaching, standing, sitting on the floor) for participating in students' activities and speaking with them at their eye level, playing with them and to clean up toys and equipment from the floor.
- Must be able to maneuver and/or set up students' furniture, i.e., tables and chairs.
- Must have basic knowledge of First Aid/CPR.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English to write parent notes, evaluation forms, lesson plans and other correspondence concerning students.
- Must be able to communicate with students, parents and staff using clear, understandable speech.
- Must be able to read aloud books, signs, posters, etc. to students and to silently read memos, lesson plans, school policies, emergency procedures and other related correspondence.
- Medical (No cost to employee for in-network only coverage. Employee can cover family member or upgrade to optional out of network at an additional expense to the employee.)
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Retirement Savings - 403b, matching and "profit" sharing.
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development
- Beautiful building
- Awesome co-workers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position please submit your resume with a cover letter, to email@example.com.
The subject line of the email should indicate that you are applying for the Head Teacher position.
All applications must be submitted electronically, please do not call.