One Lowenstein Drive
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
SOCIAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a full-time Social Services Coordinator for its Newark field office, located in Roseland NJ. The Social Services Coordinator will be responsible for working with KIND’s child clients and their families to identify needs and gaps in services, and assist families in accessing services related to education, health, mental health, housing, mediation, and child care. The Social Services Coordinator will work with clients living in New Jersey and may support clients living in additional geographical areas as needed. The ideal candidate will have experience working with and within immigrant communities in the US, will have working knowledge of the challenges and limitations in accessing public services. In addition to strong linguistic competency and fluency in Spanish and/or other languages, the Social Services Coordinator will have a high level of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness and cross-communication skills.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree preferably in social work, counseling, or related specialty required
- Fluency in English and Spanish, spoken and written, required;
- Two to three years of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- A strong record of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness, and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Experience working with a diverse team of social service providers and advocating on behalf of clients;
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney – Newark office
Interns and volunteers
Responsibilities of the Social Services Coordinator will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
1) Develop and maintain a knowledge base of social services available to clients in assigned work areas;
2) Establish working relationships and partnerships with local service providers and administrators in each service area to enhance the referral process;
3) Conduct assessments of referred clients, including the larger context in which the child is living, identifying needs, barriers and safety concerns;
4) Maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services, and service delivery;
5) Complete referrals to services, assist families in completing intake requirements for these services and follow up as necessary;
6) Assist KIND Legal staff on working with families in crisis and transition;
7) Work with other KIND Social Services Coordinators nationally to develop best practices, protocols, and provide training and support on relevant topics for KIND staff;
8) Trainings and support to pro bono attorneys;
9) Mentoring with social providers;
10) Trainings to social providers;
11) Working closely with other legal services providers, law firms, corporations, and law schools in the New Jersey Consortium for Immigrant Children to identify and support resource-sharing amongst these partner agencies.
Work is generally performed within the office environment and includes phone and in person contact with clients.
This position may require some travel, but not regular travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.