DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Job posted by New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault
Details: Salary commensurate with education and experience.
32 Broadway Suite 1101
The mission of the New York City Alliance is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes individuals and communities. The Alliance was founded in 2000 in order to represent the interests of survivors and the programs that assist them at the city-wide level. Through training, advocacy and research, the Alliance has been an active force in fighting for recognition of the magnitude of the problem of sexual violence in New York City.
The Director of Development and Communications is full-time position which aims to diversify fundraising efforts and strengthen communications efforts to advance the Alliance’s mission. The Director works collaboratively with other staff including other management staff and the Alliance Finance team. The position reports to the Executive Director and participates in organizational planning and leadership, assists the ED with communication with the Board of Directors and manages the Associate Board.
- 6-10 years of development experience in the non-profit or related field
- Proven track record of achieving annual revenue goals through diverse funding sources including government, corporate, and private foundation funding
- Strong demonstrated background with securing corporate, and private foundation funding
- Experience with growing individual donor portfolio
- Proven management and leadership capabilities
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development
- Web-site maintenance skills
- Strong partnership-building and event planning skills
- Demonstrated skills of media and public relations with understanding of social media/marketing strategies
- Experience with working with a board of directors and leading fundraising efforts
- Good computer skills and knowledge of data base programs including Razor’s Edge
- Implement the goals of the Alliance’s three- year strategic plan calling for a diversification of funding sources. These sources are: individual donors, foundation and corporate support, government support and special events.
- Serve as a strategic leader for all fundraising efforts to ensure coordinated fundraising outcomes;
- Identify funding opportunities and develop funding proposals, write grants, and submit timely reports to funders in collaboration with the Executive Director and program staff;
- Develop and manage portfolio of current and prospective donors capable of making major gifts;
- Develop and implement corporate fundraising initiatives and opportunities through targeted efforts and partnerships;
- Work with Executive Director and board-led Fundraising Committee on setting financial and donor goals as well as planning and execution of fundraising activities;
- Assist with Board support, attend Board meetings and work with the Board-led Communications Committee;
- Oversee Alliance special events in collaboration with Board and staff with specific focus on fundraising and communications components;
- Oversee the implementation of a communications strategy that advances the mission of the organization including, managing media relationships, participating in the creation of public education messages, review and preparation of organizational materials and updating website content.
- Recruit and supervise development/communications staff, interns and volunteers.
- Supervise contributions of related consultants –communications consultants, web-manager, graphic designer
- Lead communication with media partners and Alliance staff on our city-wide sexual violence prevention campaign to maximize impact of messaging to the target populations
- Completion of reports to private funders of general operating funds in collaboration with relevant staff.
Excellent benefit package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Although the closing date is end of September, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This posting will be removed once the position has been filled.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume as a single word or pdf document to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Director of Development and Communications.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultural diversity and strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.