The Financial Coach will provide one-on-one financial coaching sessions to low to moderate income individuals and families designed to gain an understanding of their current financial situation. With a customer focused approach create goals, strategies, and develop an action plan to improve their financial situation and help them reach their self- determined long-term sustainable goals. The Financial Coach will be active in the local communities that SHFCU serves, identifying and partnering with other local organizations to secure external sources of referrals and build community relations.
Financial Coach Financial Coach Essential Responsibilities:
Provide effective one-on-one coaching sessions to Self-Help Credit Union members and prospective members that will support their ability to:
- Cover monthly expenses with income
- Track and understand spending patterns
- Understand how to manage credit
- Plan ahead and save for the future
- Gain access to asset-building financial products and services
- Be curious and ask questions about big financial decisions
- Guide participants in the development of realistic goals, enhance accountability and provide opportunities to practice skills and access resources
- Coach prospective and recently denied mortgage and consumer loan applicants to create and work through an action plan that will allow them to become qualified
- Help members leverage credit and asset building financial products and Learn guidelines and product parameters for the full suite of Self-Help credit and asset building financial products
- Make referrals to appropriate staff and provide assistance to members to help them access Self-Help financial products
- Maintain a roster of community resources to help members and prospective members connect to financial security resources.
BRANCH CAPACITY BUILDING AND SUPPORT
- Identify and partner with local organizations to secure external sources of referrals and build community relations. Develop and deliver engaging presentations to local community groups on topics related to enhancing financial capability and security for members.
- Instruct Self-Help branch staff on how and when to make coaching referrals and how to provide targeted financial capability guidance to members that will help improve their financial security and leverage Self-Help credit and asset building financial products.
- Assist branch staff with servicing members as needed.
- Collect and provide success stories for internal and external program promotion.
- Actively participate in Financial Capability Initiative meetings and activities, as needed.
- Utilize SalesForce and other internal systems to capture financial outcomes data for coaching participants.
- Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
Financial Coach Financial Coach Credentials, Experience and Skills:
- English/Spanish fluency required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience.
- 2+ years of retail banking or consumer lending experience preferred.
- 10 years professional experience preferred
- Strong commitment to our mission – creating economic opportunity for traditionally underserved communities.
- Preference for working in organizations that place priority on teamwork and collaboration
- Strong understanding of credit, banking, lending and financial management.
- Financial coaching experience or ability to demonstrate key competencies for effective coaching including:
- Facilitation/action listening skills
- Non-judgmental manner
- Familiarity with the coaching approach
- Financial content knowledge
- Experience with the target population
- Strong customer service approach and ability to be viewed as a credible adviser.
- Ability to accurately, manage, organize and update relevant data in multiple databases.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to develop and deliver engaging group presentations while also being effective in one-on-one coaching sessions, as well.
- Ability to work effectively both independently, as well as within a team.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekend and travel up to 30% as needed.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 40 pounds.
Competitive salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, life insurance, flexible spending plan, retirement plan, paid parental leave, and domestic partners policy
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons, regardless of race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, class or family status.