Criminal Defense Practice Staff Attorney-Digital Forensics
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
Headquarters: 199 Water Street
The Criminal Practice of The Legal Aid Society has an opening for a Staff Attorney in its Digital Forensics Unit. The Staff Attorney is one of the Society's in-house experts in digital forensics matters and provides support for Criminal Defense Practice attorneys and other defense attorneys. The Staff Attorney maintains a caseload limited to matters where forensic evidence is involved and provides support, including expert assistance and second-seating, for forensics cases handled by other Society attorneys. The Staff Attorney works closely with the Forensic Analysts on the unit's casework. The Staff Attorney must have an understanding of processes of how forensic evidence is retrieved, handled, analyzed, and preserved.
The Digital Forensics Unit provides citywide support on digital forensics issues. This citywide unit develops, implements, and coordinates Society policy and litigation strategy concerning digital forensics matters.
* Represent clients in criminal proceedings involving digital forensic evidence
* Provide support and assistance for other Society attorneys handling digital forensic cases
* Provide in-house and external training on digital forensic issues
* Provide back-up support for other defense attorneys in New York City
* Policy advocacy on behalf of clients in digital forensic matters, as needed
* Other duties as assigned
Manhattan - Legal Aid Society Headquarters
* Admission to NYS bar
* Extensive trial experience
* Felony certification
* Experience in working on digital forensics cases
* Substantial background in the retrieval, handling, analysis, and preservation of digital forensics evidence or the demonstrated aptitude and willingness to acquire such knowledge and to maintain expertise, particularly in such areas as forensic biology and statistics
* Excellent trial skills
* Excellent written advocacy skills
* Excellent ability to provide training and support assistance for the Criminal Practice and, as needed, Society-wide
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
* Ability and willingness to work as part of a citywide team
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required