Seasonal Inbound Sponsored Programs Logistics Assistant, Hosting
- Job posted by AFS-USA Intercultural Programs
Full Time Temporary
Details: $15 per hour
120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
AFS-USA manages a number of U.S. government sponsored programs which provide scholarships for adolescents to participate in international exchange programs, one of which is the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program www.yesprograms.org, and another the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Program http://www.usagermanyscholarship.org/
The Sponsored Programs department at AFS focuses on maintaining relationships with the funder (U.S. Department of State) and incorporating the sponsored programs into overall AFS programming. The Sponsored Programs Logistics Assistant (SPLA) will work most closely with the Sponsored Programs Travel Assistant (SPTA) and the YES Program team.
Core responsibilities of the role include coordination of all planning and logistical arrangements for two large scale summer student orientation events (each with 400-450 attendees): the YES End-of-Stay orientation and the YES arrival orientations, as well as providing assistance with the CBYX End of Stay orientation and YES alumni event logistics, as time permits. The incumbent will coordinate with team members, students and volunteers to coordinate event logistics in coordination with the Travel Assistant. The SPLA will report to the YES Program manager.
Primary responsibilities include
- Manage all on-site logistics including coordination with the hotel, coordination with SPTA, room reservations and attendee lists, organization of all volunteer duties and assignments
- Maintain accurate student, volunteer and staff lists and information
- Data entry and report generation
- Responsible for coordinating all logistics-related tasks and events at orientation sites
- Deliver on-site logistics training for volunteers
- Create hotel volunteer schedules and oversee all volunteer tasks while on-site in coordination with SPTA
- Troubleshoot hotel-related issues
- Coordinate with travel staff to maintain accurate information and assistance regarding student name lists, rooming lists, group lists.
- Coordinating all overnight, meal, and room accommodations, including last minute needs due to travel changes
- Communicate last minute placement/travel changes to respective students and other relevant parties
- Providing general troubleshooting expertise
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Length of Engagement: May – mid-September
QUALIFICATION & SKILLS:
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Proven ability to multitask and prioritize ongoing responsibilities
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Keen attention to detail in all forms, especially written
- Ability to work independently with multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Requires travel up to 15% time and work on nights and weekends
- Experience or a high level of comfort in an intercultural setting
- Ability to maintain calm under pressure
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Word and Excel
- Travel experience preferred
- Ability to travel to orientations in Washington, D.C.
- Available May through mid-Sept
May through mid-September
HOURLY RATE DETAILS:
This position pays an hourly rate of $15/hour.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Commuter Benefits and NY Sick Leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.