The Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Maryland Director will manage all aspects of the Mental Health First Aid training program in Maryland. Key functions include establishment of annual goals and objectives for the MHFA team in alignment with the Program Team strategic plan; supports implementation of logic model per strategic/funded areas; supports design of program metrics, tracks metrics, identifies organizational support and needs on behalf of MHFA team, internal and external stakeholder relations, identifying and implementing best practices, supporting professional development plan for each MHFA team member.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages new engagements/relationships.
- Actively seeks and evaluates with Chief Program Officer and Senior Program Director funding and resource acquisition opportunities.
- Becomes a certified trainer within 60 days of hire. Delivers MHFA 8-hour community trainings. Maintains instructor certification with a minimum of three classes per year. Becomes a First Aider.
- Acquires new certifications as MHAMD adds to the curriculum offerings at MHAMD within 60 days of release.
- Responsible for the quality of Master Trainer instructions, including fidelity to the model. To include development of an evaluation tool, instructor surveys, determination of frequency of reviews, on-site/virtual planned or unplanned observations of instructions in progress, review of presentation materials used by instructors, and feedback system to instructors to assure fidelity to the model and quality of instruction. Collaborates with external evaluator to support success of one time only infrastructure build funding.
- Creates the written instructor support annual plan, with input from MHFA team, including: access to technical assistance communications, webinars, individual support, state instructor meetings, succession planning, business development sessions on use of registration software, LMS software, practices to improve income potential for instructors, and brand fidelity. Establishes methods to support incremental independence with each customer to operate its own MHFA program. Delivers strategies to accomplish instructor support plan.
- Develops and reviews contracts and terms for Master Trainers, annually or upon renewal.
- Monitors payment by MHAMD to Master Trainers for all engagements. May process invoices from Master Trainers, input into Finance database, and tracking payments.
- Serves as the lead contact for Mental Health First Aid Maryland.
- Informs curriculum development and related processes as appropriate.
- Represents Mental Health First Aid Maryland and MHAMD on internal and external workgroups and committees as assigned.
- Supervises staff.
- Creates the annual plan for First Aider engagement.
- Manages assigned program grants and assists in additional program fundraising activities.
- Serves as Project Lead for 4Front funded partnership. (See Project Lead scope of work for additional duties required as lead.)
- Supports Project Lead in the implementation of MHFA programming statewide to Emergency Management Systems and Critical Incident Management Systems personnel.
- Supports Project Lead in the implementation of the Baltimore City (BHSB) funded initiative.
- Supports Project lead as new grants are awarded.
- Supports plan to achieve capacity targets for new or replacement Master trainers as established in the strategic plan.
- Develops MOU templates in collaboration with Senior Program Director and Chief Program Officer and negotiates the MOU with each potential partner to outline mutual expectations and agreements.
- Develops MOUs and contracts with NCMW.
- Manages team meetings, scheduling, agenda, minutes, etc. and manages leave schedules for team to assure succession plan for all responsibilities is in place. Serves as team lead on annual MHFA retreat.
- Supports the achievement of outcomes and output metrics as outlined in each logic model. Tracks all quantitative metrics and produces monthly variance reports per funded project. Tracks all qualitative metrics through the review of returned surveys, periodic focus groups/interviews, solicitation and capture of anecdotes and stories of impact in communities by target audience/beneficiary type. Drafts monthly and quarterly program reports.
- Supports deliverables from external marketing consultants for design of external presentations/PowerPoints, website development and review, web content aligned with NCMW site, social media content and postings, materials development, email blasts and similar external/instructor/community class participant communications for general MHFA programming.
- Develops and delivers presentations to the public.
- Executes improvement process in MHFA program, including technology improvements. Creates annual plan for technology adoption.
- Develops and communicates annual data management plan. Collaborates with Program Associate to assure entry into Salesforce of all MHFA contacts.
- Lead on collection and review of data reports from NCMW, circulates data reports, conducts performance improvement sessions to focus on best practices and opportunities for improvement.
- Develops and implements feedback mechanisms with trainees for quantitative data, qualitative data, case studies, and other methods to track impact. Maintains mechanism for enhanced evaluation input and export in collaboration with NCMW. Integrates demographic data capture/evaluation functions using Apricot database in as partner responsibility in establishing expectations with each funded partner.
- Manages expenses charged to grants/contracts, including coding, monthly budget-to-actual reviews, and month-end close reviews with Senior Program Director to assure spending, project plan deliverables and impact/outcomes are consistently achieved during the project period for specific funded projects. Provides input to budget development. Recommends budget modifications when indicated.
- Collaborates with Finance and Senior Program Director to set unit costs annually, and prices for MHFA offerings.
- Supports systems of performance improvement in collaboration with Senior Program Director to assure program deliverables are met.
- Innovates methods to better serve customers, and incorporates a diversity, equity and inclusion lens in MHFA programming.
- Identifies synergies between all MHFA initiatives being delivered by MHAMD and fosters internal collaborations to create economies of scale.
- Demonstrated experience in program management and growth
- Proven experience helping organizations implement new ideas, programs or processes
- Experience in using project management and learning management software.
- Experience in using CRM and marketing software (MailChimp, Salesforce preferred)
- Experience in Microsoft Office suite – Excel, SharePoint, Teams, PowerPoint, Word.
- Experience in design, organizing and implementing virtual instruction sessions.
- Supervisory experience.
- Proficient in and experience with Microsoft Office suite – Excel, SharePoint, Teams, PowerPoint, Word.
- Experience in design, organizing and implementing virtual programming/instruction.
- Experience with Mental Health First Aid programming a plus or other standardized behavioral health trainings.
- BS/BA degree in human service, education or public administration fields.
- Superior ability to motivate and engage diverse groups
- Strong training and presentation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple programs with close attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Superior organization, time management, tracking and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Skills in diversity, equity and inclusion in verbal/written communications and plans.
- Strong skills in customer service both externally and internally
- Ability to initiate work and offer suggestions for quality improvement
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High level of professionalism, can maintain confidentiality and use discretion in all interactions.
- Commitment to the mission of the organization.
Full time, exempt and benefits. Benefits include vacation, sick, personal, and holidays, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, medical, dental and vision insurance, and health savings account.
- Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5pm
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods
- Visual acuity and gross/fine motor skills to use a computer monitor and keyboard
- Ability to hear, produce and understand speech for telephone/videoconferencing use
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Must Be able to lift-up to 25 pounds at times
- Reliable transportation
Ability to travel throughout the State of Maryland.
Flexible Work Arrangement
Position is FWA eligible but candidates should be prepared to work in the office location when required.
State of Maryland
MHAMD is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.