Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside is a well-established Manhattan community-based agency with an annual operating budget of approximately $50 million. Goddard Riverside is one of New York City’s leading human service organizations meeting the needs of children, youth and families, homeless people, and older adults across Manhattan and New York City.
Purpose of Position: The Chief of Staff is a key strategic advisor and support to the Chief Program Officer (CPO). This role requires close partnership and coordination with senior leadership to increase the effectiveness and impact of a multi-dimensional service portfolio, to support the development of high-performing teams, and to execute on key organizational priorities.
Schedule: Monday through Friday - 9:00am to 5:00pm with some extended hours and days
Role, Responsibilities & Essential Duties
Strategic Partnership and Executive Support
• Serve as a senior advisor and partner to the Chief Program Officer (CPO) on all matters related to annual planning and strategic priorities, program oversight and operations, staffing, contract management, internal communications, and external affairs. Act as “right hand”: a key partner who acts as a sounding board and provides critical feedback.
• Strategically manage CPO’s time and involvement in projects and decision-making processes, ensuring appropriate balance of attention to highest priority items.
• Work with program leadership to set and track performance expectations and metrics. Inform CPO regularly on progress toward program objectives and recommend strategies to course correct, as needed.
• Work with senior leaders to identify opportunities to improve alignment, increase cross-functional collaboration, and support the execution of strategic priorities
• Facilitate regular staff meetings with program leadership to pace, organize, and execute on program goals, in alignment with strategic priorities set by CPO.
• Lead cross-functional project teams to achieve specific initiatives; Convene relevant external stakeholders and internal leadership across the organization, as needed.
• Recommend/develop new systems and processes to streamline programmatic operations.
• Organize division wide retreats, conferences, and other special events.
• Prepare CPO for all meetings including development and/or distribution of agendas and scheduling of time to review talking points and relevant information on background.
• Write talking points for CPO on all external communications and internal communications to staff and/or executive leadership throughout the organization.
• Speak externally on behalf of CPO as necessary, and effectively manage relationships with all external stakeholders, in support of programs.
• Strategically manage CPO’s calendar ensuring all professional engagements are prioritized appropriately, internal/external communications leading up to meetings/events are well managed, personal commitments are noted, and travel needs are addressed.
• Minimum requirement of a bachelor’s degree (in Social Work, Public Policy, Political Science, Nonprofit Management, etc.) and preference is for a Master of Business or Public Administration or equivalent level of education.
• At least 5 years of experience working in or with not-for-profit sector organizations.
• At least 5 years of project management experience with a proven track record.
• Highly collaborative with a proven track record of developing high-performing teams
• Experience as a thought-leader and a strategic partner at the most senior level
• Exceptional project planning/management with a proven track record of developing cross-functional teams
• Excellent and proven written and verbal communication skills
• Advanced computer skills, including: HTML, graphic design, Microsoft Office Suite and varied databases
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Operate with independence, high integrity, and acute understanding of matters requiring extreme discretion to best serve the interest of the organization’s constituency, Chief Program Officer, and Executive team.
• Ability to time manage and sequence
• Excellent Interpersonal skills with the ability to interface effectively with every level of the organization
• Excellent facilitation skills and the ability to engage a board base of stakeholders
• Ability to perform literature reviews and develop service delivery models
• Strong professional judgment and sound decision-making skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, business acumen, leadership skills
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to successfully handle multiple concurrent tasks/assignments simultaneously: attention to detail with emphasis on accuracy
• Heavy computer use
• Office (this position is not remote)
Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside is a well-established Manhattan community-based agency with an annual operating budget of approximately $50 million. Goddard Riverside is one of New York City’s leading human service…