Digital Content Specialist
The United Federation of Teachers, a 195,000-member union of New York City public school educators and other professionals, seeks an energetic, self-motivated producer of digital content who is committed to public education and the labor movement to work as part of the union’s close-knit digital communications team. The UFT takes
pride in keeping our diverse membership informed about their rights and benefits as well as the union’s events,
workshops and campaigns. The UFT is a staunch defender of public education. We work in a fast-paced,
demanding environment where everyone pulls together to get the work done.
How to apply:
- Send a resume and a cover letter explaining why this job is a good fit for you to www.uft.org/digital-job.
- No resumes will be considered without a cover letter. A writing sample is optional. No phone calls please.
- Candidates must be willing to report in person to the union’s Manhattan headquarters. Vaccination is
- required to work at the UFT.
- Create, copy-edit, format and send event invitations, information updates and newsletters in Marketing
- Cloud to targeted lists of UFT members in Salesforce;
- Create online registration forms and member surveys;
- Post events to the website calendar and post occasional website content updates
- Serve the communications needs of UFT’s borough offices, departments and chapters;
- Send text messages to targeted lists of UFT members;
- Other communications tasks as assigned by the department director.
- Superior writing skills;
- Excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- A demonstrated ease with digital technology and an eagerness to learn new software and use it to
- promote the union’s mission;
- Ability to create clear and compelling email messages and newsletters, sometimes working with the drafts by staff from other departments;
- Strong organizational skills, with a keen attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong interpersonal skills, since the job involves managing the needs of staff across many departments;
- Ability to work effectively under deadline and juggle assignments;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of the digital communications team;
- Knowledge of or interest in education policy and the labor movement;
- Working knowledge of HTML strongly preferred;
- Working knowledge of Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Marketing Cloud and website content management
- systems a definite plus;
- Ability to write or proofread written Spanish a plus;
- Must be available to work “on call” on some evenings and weekends to send out urgent emails;
A more experienced candidate will add:
· A track record of writing compelling, engaging copy aligned to an organization’s mission that
persuades the target audience (ideally, members or subscribers) to take actions;
· Experience writing informative emails (policy updates, program details, benefits) and marketing emails;
· Some knowledge of how to gather and use email data to measure an email’s effectiveness and to drive
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in liberal arts, plus at least one year of experience working with online content in a professional environment.
Excellent benefits. Equal opportunity employer.