Details: $13 / hour
100 Maryland Avenue
Tutoring Program Assistant with Horton’s Kids
Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of 500 children in grades K – 12 living in one of the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC, called Wellington Park. In this neighborhood, 80 percent of adults do not have a high school diploma, and the average annual household income is less than $10,000. With support from committed volunteers, Horton’s Kids’ goal is to change the life trajectory of children by providing academic, youth development, and health and basic needs supports. To learn more about Horton’s Kids, please visit www.hortonskids.org.
We are seeking a highly-motivated person to serve as a part-time Tutoring Program Assistant in the Fall 2018 semester. There is strong preference for candidates that will continue through the full academic year ending in May 2019.
- Assist with organizing and operating evening tutoring programs and homework help, as well as occasional weekend field trips in the DC area. Schedule can be any or all of the following options:
- Monday evenings, 4:30-8:30pm
- Tuesday evenings, 4:30-8:30pm
- Wednesday evening, 4:30-8:30pm
- Sunday/Saturday afternoons approximately once per month (hours vary).
- Chaperone students on buses to and from tutoring programs: assisting staff with supervision, behavior management, and safety assurance.
- Help supervise a tutoring room: maintain tutoring protocols, track student and tutor issues, provide support to tutoring pairs.
- Assist staff and volunteers with behavior challengesduring programs in a that helps model for them what positive behaviors look like
- Occasionally act as a tutor substitute, provide tutoring for children and communicating with tutors/volunteers about child concerns or questions.
- Previous experience working with children in elementary grades (K-7), experience working with at risk children preferred.
- At least one reference will need to be able to speak to the applicant’s ability to work with children.
- Strong behavior management skills.
- Ability to work well within a team and a strong belief in the mission of Horton’s Kids that all children can succeed when given the proper support.
Hourly wage starts at $13.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
All applicants will be asked to undergo a standard FBI background check, and will be asked to submit fingerprints, a TB test, and be certified in First Aid/CPR, once hired as mandated for working with children. Must be at least 18years old to apply. Horton’s Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Horton’s Kids is accepting applications now. Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Tutoring Program Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required