Organizer - Nail Salon Organizing Project - Bi-Lingual Spanish-English
Details: Includes excellent health benefits, paid time off, and retirement.
305 7th Ave, 7th Floor
Organizer - Nail Salon Organizing Project
The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU
The NY NJ Regional Joint Board of Workers United is dedicated to winning economic and racial justice through innovative and dynamic worker-led organizing campaigns.
We are a diverse and participatory union that centers our members’ needs for justice at work and in their communities. We build their collective power to win dignity, good contracts, safe working conditions, and laws that benefit working families. We are committed to uplifting all working people in the New York New Jersey region.
Our current focus is building worker leadership among the mostly immigrant woman workforce across the New York nail sail industry. This growing campaign is centered around class, race, immigrant, and gender justice. We are building the first-ever nail salon worker union in the United States, changing the landscape of what’s possible to win power.
We are seeking a bilingual (Spanish/English) organizer(s) who is excited to think and work creatively as part of a focused and fun-loving team developing and moving this non-traditional organizing campaign.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
The primary role of this position is to build worker power through leadership development.
This includes a wide range of duties, including, but not limited to the following:
- Identify, recruit, support and develop worker leaders
- Develop and build worker organizing committees
- Conduct worker meetings either one-on-one or in group settings
- Motivate and organize workers to take action
- Provide accurate assessments of all organizing aspects related to the campaign
- Co-develop campaign strategies and tactics to advance organizing campaign
- Facilitate weekly educational workshops
- Maintain accurate lists and records
- Plan and coordinate workplace actions
- Prepare workers to determine and claim their power
- Minimum of two years’ experience organizing as part of a labor union or community organization
- Strong listening skills
- Strong relational skills
- Fluency in Spanish (including reading, writing, and speaking)
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to set achievable time-based goals
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong critical and strategic analysis
Additionally this position requires:
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours including nights and weekends
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with people from diverse background
- Commitment to center the leadership and voices of People of Color, women and immigrant workers
Workers United is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Includes excellent health benefits, paid time off, and retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
This position requires fluency in Spanish including reading, writing, and speaking.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information for two references. Please submit materials as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Nail Salon Organizer.