Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Launched in March 2013, JerseyCAN: The New Jersey Campaign for Achievement Now is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to improve policies and programs to support equity and excellence in New Jersey education. JerseyCAN has an energetic, results-driven team working on state and city-level opportunities to eradicate New Jersey’s pervasive education opportunity gaps. JerseyCAN is a part of the 50CAN network: the 50 State Campaign for Achievement Now.
JerseyCAN is a branch of 50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now, a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. 50CAN helps develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. It operates campaigns in 11 states, supports affiliates in three additional states, has a national headquarters in Washington, D.C., and is led by CEO and Founder Marc Porter Magee.
About the Job
Communications: Assist with drafting, editing and coordination of external-facing materials including press releases, news roundups, newsletters, op-eds and other duties as assigned. Maintain and update website. Manage JerseyCAN’s social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and blog. Help develop and update JerseyCAN-branded documents, including fact sheets and other collateral as needed. Create and execute mass advocacy emails.
Project management: Assist Executive Director in ensuring timely and accurate submission of all lobbying disclosures and foundation grant reports; lead all aspects of event-planning, including vendor management, drafting related materials and serving as a liaison to the graphic design team.
Strategic partnerships and mobilization: Cultivate relationships and strategic partnerships throughout New Jersey; recruit, train and support a network of advocates (e.g., parents, teachers, community leaders); plan and coordinate turnouts to legislative hearings, rallies and other events; grow JerseyCAN’s membership; and represent JerseyCAN at other organizations’ events.
Key Abilities, Skills and Experience:
● Highly organized with strong attention to detail
● Strong commitment to educational equity and JerseyCAN’s mission
● Ability to effectively manage time, work independently, multi-task, meet deadlines, and achieve goals in a fast-paced environment
● Outgoing personality with eagerness to develop relationships with media and community advocates
● Exceptional writing and editing skills
● Experience working with email delivery platform (e.g., Mailchimp) is a plus
● Social media fluency
● At least two years of communications experience
● Familiarity with education policy issues
● Some experience in social and/or advocacy campaigns and a working knowledge of the state policy-making process
JerseyCAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
JerseyCAN offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required