Living Classroom is looking for an individual to prepare and maintain gardens for our garden-based Science lessons in the Campbell Union School District.
This is a 12 month, part time position: 40 weeks during the school year at an average work week of 18 hours per week, and 8-10 hours per week during 8 weeks over the summer, for a total of 48 work weeks.
Job Duties Include:
- Work with Living Classroom staff to prepare garden space and plants before scheduled lessons
- Coordinate with Garden Manager and Program Director to purchase plants, seeds, and seedlings and other materials as needed
- Assure adequate watering by checking irrigation regularly and working with the district to ensure its maintenance. Water by hand as needed.
- Check irrigation systems periodically; make needed repairs or coordinate with School District Maintenance Department
- Weed and maintain planter boxes of existing plantings, and amend soil as needed.
- Weed, maintain, and cleanup of native plant gardens as needed
- Install and maintain laminated garden signs; inventory other signs and coordinate with Program Director and Garden Manager to replace as needed
- Maintain a professional demeanor and be able to communicate effectively with district and site based administrators regarding facilities and garden maintenance
- Work with Program Manager to coordinate volunteer work days throughout the year (scheduling, supervision, schedule of tasks)
- Participate in lesson training, when feasible
- Provide oversight to school sites during the summer months
- Visit each school site on a weekly basis when possible to weed, maintain, and assess the gardens
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, a vehicle capable of transporting plants and other materials (such as lumber), and be able to travel to school sites and retail stores for purchasing materials
- Must be flexible and possess strong time management skills to follow a work schedule that maximizes time efficiency and minimizes total travel time
- Must be able to communicate effectively and regularly using email and, when necessary, text messaging.
- Successful candidates will be asked to complete a background check and TB test per school district guidelines
- Knowledge of CA native plants and garden irrigation a plus
- Job requires lifting and occasionally moving heavy materials, usually using wheelbarrows or wagons
- Must have laptop computer and cell phone available for work related tasks
- Must be self-motivated and willing to work independently; flexible schedule