The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for administering the Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) volunteer program throughout the state. The position is responsible for the coordination of all aspects of the volunteer program with the SMP Director, area agencies on aging, and community partners in the Senior Medicare Patrol Program, a federal grant funded program that utilizes volunteers as community educators to raise awareness about healthcare fraud, errors, and abuse in the Medicare system. The position reports to the SMP Director.
· Recruit, retain and support remote volunteers.
· Provide SMP Foundations training to volunteers and community partners
· Develop innovative ideas to expand and support the utilization of volunteers statewide.
· Work collaboratively with community partners to provide local program support in volunteer recruitment, training, and outreach activities.
· Coordinate volunteer activities with requests for presentations and outreach events.
· Track and maintain volunteer activity data and ensure program reporting requirements are met statewide for volunteer activities.
· Implement, evaluate, and update as needed volunteer program policies and procedures consistent with the national SMP guidelines.
· Participate in committees or other partnership initiatives as required.
· Actively participate in webinars, communications projects, and social media initiatives.
· Perform other duties as assigned that are directly related to the major responsibilities of the position.
· Competence in the theories and principles of volunteer program administration.
· Experience in program coordination and evaluation.
· Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal communication skills; effective facilitation, training, and presentation skills.
· Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
· The ability to communicate and build rapport over the phone to support and supervise volunteers to be effective in their roles.
· Understanding of adult learning principles.
· Experience with engaging volunteers through social media (or willingness to learn)
· Commitment to Virginia SMP’s mission and goals.
· Experience working with the aging population is` a plus, but not required.
This is a part-time position (20 hours/week) is eligible for paid time off (sick leave, vacation leave and holiday leave) based on the number of hours worked per week.
Minimum Education Required