345 Randolph Ave, Suite 100
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is hiring organizers to help home care workers grow and strengthen their Union. These organizers will knock on doors, make phone calls and talk to home care workers, supporting them in taking collective action and building their Union to improve their lives and the care they provide to the people with disabilities and seniors they serve. This position will be on the front lines of that fight.
- Communicate with workers through house-visits and phone calls.
- Identify and recruit leaders among home care workers, getting them actively involved in the campaign to continue to win improvements for themselves and their clients.
- Work effectively both as part of a team and on your own.
- Take and give constructive feedback.
- Establish rapport with workers from diverse ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Visit home care workers in their homes in every type of neighborhood in Minnesota.
- Be flexible.
- Be passionate about the fight to organize and improve the lives of home care workers and support them in winning union contract victories that bring an end to their invisibility and poverty.
- Any other responsibilities needed to build home care workers’ power.
- Excellent listening skills, especially the ability to draw out people’s individual stories by asking open-ended questions in direct conversations and phone calls.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to record accurate information on each conversation with a home care worker.
- Experience working on your own, managing your time and being accountable for the results of your independent efforts.
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to describe what’s possible when people join together in a union and the ability to provide constructive feedback to coworkers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from widely varying ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Positive attitude.
- Strong work ethic.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle in good working condition. Must have proof of auto insurance.
- Experience with election campaigns preferred.
- Experience with union organizing preferred.
- Experience working with people with disabilities preferred.
Work hours include evenings and weekends.
The position requires a lot of driving. All appropriately documented mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal rate.
This is a temporary position with a weekly salary of $680, with Paid Time Off accrued at a 30:1 rate.
Home care organizers are eligible to participate in single or family health insurance after 60 days of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in a second language – especially Somali, Hmong, or Spanish – preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should send a résumé and any references to SEIU Healthcare Minnesota Executive Vice President Phillip Cryan at email@example.com