1 Alumni House
The Cal Alumni Association’s (CAA) Alumni Scholars Program provides over $2 million in scholarships and direct engagement and supportive services to nearly 800 UC Berkeley undergraduate students each year. This position is responsible for developing and implementing the strategic direction and for directing the operational management of the Alumni Scholars Program. This is a hands-on management role with both strategic and tactical responsibilities. The Senior Director leads, manages and mentors both the scholarship selection and the student engagement teams. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer.
- Develop, implement and monitor strategic plans and metrics for Alumni Scholars Program including student/scholar engagement and scholarship selections.
- Identify, implement and cultivate mutually beneficial and strategic campus and alumni partnerships to implement scholarships and scholar engagement initiatives, including but not limited to the offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, Ce3, and Registrar, and the UCB Yield task force, and Public Service Scholarships task force.
- Build the Alumni Scholars Program brand on campus and in the alumni community.
- Develop annual budget for TAAP, KASP, Leadership, and boutique scholarships.
- Develop long-range forecasts to determine the amount and quantity of scholarships.
- Partner with the CAA Development team to steward donors and prospects to build financial support for our scholarships.
- Lead strategy development with campus partners for implementation of boutique scholarships
- Ensure compliance with FERPA and other applicable rules and legal requirements.
- Lead, supervise and mentor the Alumni Scholars Program team.
- Develop, implement and manage the Alumni Scholars Program annual operating plan and budget.
- Responsible for policy development, documentation, and program evaluations.
- Produce metrics reports and analysis of the Alumni Scholars Program.
- Research and evaluate benchmarks and implement best practices to improve the program.
- Collaborate with Development and Alumni Events teams to support CAA Scholar-Donor events.
- Other duties assigned.
- Develop, implement and monitor strategic and operating plan(s) and identify, measure and assess the impact of student engagement for all CAA scholar recipients.
- Oversee the advisement of scholars ensuring that our efforts build their leadership skills and maintain high retention and graduation rates for the program.
- Oversee the advisement of scholar-directed programs and events ensuring programs and events are mission-focused, aligned with the strategic plan, high quality, and within budget.
- Oversee the annual orientation and retreat for TAAP and KASP scholars.
- Analyze participant surveys and scoring trends, and research and evaluate benchmarks and implement best practices to improve the program.
- Support student/volunteer programming and events as needed.
- Lead and oversee the selections process for all scholarships, including but not limited to developing and implementing selection criteria, event planning and management, scholarship data and systems management, marketing communications, and volunteer management and engagement.
- Define donor-student matches and fund disbursements for scholarship recipients; Reconcile matches to fund payouts. Identify and implement process improvements, streamline and document the process for matching scholars with endowments.
- Ensure data (biographies, metrics, etc.) on scholars is provided to the Development team.
- Oversee the writing of program reports and the submittal of evaluations to funders.
- Analyze participant surveys and scoring trends, and research and evaluate benchmarks and implement best practices to improve the selections process.
Data and Systems Management
- Primary contact and strategist for our cloud-based scholarship management tools. Evaluate benchmarks and implement best practices to improve effectiveness. Train staff as needed.
- Build and maintain automated workflows, forms, and reports.
- Ensure all scholars and alumni volunteers are coded in the campus database (CADS).
- Maintain and steward data held in our cloud-based scholarship management system.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and oversee implementation of all alumni engagement and scholarship applicant marketing and communications strategies.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of marketing strategies, plans, campaigns and messaging to identify and target current and prospective students, and to generate the most qualified pool of applicants for CAA scholarships.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of marketing strategies, plans and messaging to increase awareness of all eligible UC Berkeley students about CAA scholarship opportunities.
- Oversee communications to scholars, including individual contact and group announcements.
- Evaluate benchmarks and implement best practices to improve communications.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 10+ years experience in the education industry with a combination of scholarship management, student engagement management and/or volunteer management experience, preferably at the college-level.
- Working knowledge of FERPA and other applicable rules and legal requirements.
- Demonstrated supervisory/management experience and experience building effective teams.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to operate independently, organize, lead and supervise.
- Ability to identify, implement and cultivate mutually beneficial and strategic campus and alumni partnerships.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic and operational plans and managing budgets between $500k and $1M.
- Experience in program evaluation, metrics, and ROI (return on investment) analysis.
- Proven success in managing programs that support high school and/or college students.
- Ability to work diplomatically with diverse and multi-generational groups of people, and with under-represented communities of students and/or alumni.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills with attention to accuracy and details.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation and customer service skills.
- Outstanding project management skills and experience.
- Experience with program development, implementation and ROI analysis, event planning, and working in a not-for-profit environment.
- Excellent analytical and computer skills including Microsoft and Google apps (ie Docs, Sheets, Gmail, Hangouts, etc), Skype, database management and other software and cloud-based tools. Comfortable using complex databases.
- Positive, can-do attitude with a high degree of willingness to “get the job done right.”
- Able to collaborate effectively with campus business partners, peers, volunteers, vendors, and donors.
- Flexibility and adaptability in work schedule to permit evening and weekend commitments, along with occasional domestic US travel.
- Must submit to and pass a background check and FBI/DOJ fingerprint screening.
- Must have valid CA driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Master’s degree
- Experience developing and managing a large-scale budget in excess of $1M.
- Demonstrated experience with volunteer management.
- Prior experience with engaging and stewarding donors and prospects.
- Knowledge of university-level financial aid systems and admissions processes.
- Working knowledge of the University of California system, UC Berkeley and/or the Cal Alumni Association.
- UC Berkeley alumnus/a
This is a full-time, exempt position. Base pay range is between $75,000 - 85,000 annualized. CAA offers a competitive benefits package, generous paid-time-off benefits, and positive work-life balanced environment. CAA also offers affordable medical/dental/vision benefits, access to campus parking, AFLAC and a 403(b) retirement savings option. CAA staff members are also eligible for many UCB faculty/staff discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note Alumni Scholars Program in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. Please send your application as an attachment in either MS Word or PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Wednesday, November 14, 2018.