370 Lexington Ave
New York City
ESCR-Net - The International Network for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights is seeking a communications associate to work in its New York City secretariat office.
ESCR-Net is a collaborative initiative of more than 280 Members—social movements, indigenous peoples’ groups, NGOs and advocates—from over 75 countries around the world working to secure economic and social justice through human rights. ESCR-Net seeks to strengthen the field of all human rights, with a special focus on economic, social and cultural rights (ESCR), and further develop the tools for achieving their promotion, protection and fulfillment. Through ESCR-Net, groups and individuals exchange information, develop a collective voice, amplify their actions, and develop new tools and strategies. By facilitating joint actions, enhancing communications and building solidarity across regions, ESCR-Net seeks to build a global movement to make human rights and social justice a reality for all. The member-led collective work of ESCR-Net is guided by core principles of gender and regional balance in leadership, intersectional gender analysis, and centrality of grassroots groups and social movements.
For a complete overview of ESCR-Net’s work, please visit our website at www.escr-net.org
The communications associate will serve as a key part of our NYC-based secretariat team and will be responsible for supporting ESCR-Net’s external, member-to-member and internal communications.
This communications associate will maintain ESCR-Net’s communications systems, as well as implement and provide input to strategic communications initiatives that advance ESCR-Net’s objectives. Working closely with the communications coordinator, primary functions will include: regularly updating and disseminating information online about ESCR-Net collective and member activities across four languages and facilitating information-sharing amongst diverse ESCR-Net member organizations and individuals. To other secretariat staff, the communications associate will serve as a resource, assisting, training and implementing best practices of established communications tools and systems.
- Monitor ESCR-Net’s social media accounts, interact with users and work closely with thecommunications coordinator to develop social media campaigns and assess success
- Track ESCR-Net media exposure, including activities published and shared by ESCR-Net members, and make recommendations to increase this exposure in line with communications objectives
- Facilitate effective internal communications and track communications projects in ESCR-Net’s internal project management system
- Provide technical support to ESCR-Net staff and members in regards to communication systems, including translations across our four working languages. email marketing, video conferences, website CMS and Google Groups
- Draft and edit written and audiovisual materials as needed, including member and collective news articles
- Assist in the design and layout of ESCR-Net materials and email newsletters and set up alerts and message dissemination through email marketing campaign systems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English, including a capacity to edit
- Fluency (oral and written) in either French, Arabic or Spanish (the other working languages of ESCR-Net)
- A relevant bachelor’s degree, in communications, marketing, international relations or a related field.
- 3-5 years of experience as a communications assistant, communication specialist, social media manager or similar role
- Experience in advancing human rights and social justice
- Some campaign/organizing experience, ideally involving effective use of communications strategies
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Creative problem-solver and systems thinker
- Excellent organization and time management, including ability to juggle multiple tasks and respond rapidly to new events and competing priorities
- Good judgement and journalistic sense, identifying stories and interests to engage and respond to ESCR-Net members
- Demonstrated ability to understand and present technical information to nontechnical audiences
- Technical support experience and eagerness to learn new technical skills
- Facility with website content management systems (Drupal or similar)
- An eye for good design with some experience using Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere)
- Some experience with linear media editing (audio/video)
- Some experience managing non-personal social media accounts, including sponsored campaigns
- Familiarity with listservs and Google Groups
- Proficiency in more than two working languages of ESCR-Net, fluency in French is especially desired
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Previous experience living and working outside of the United States
HOURS AND LOCATION:
This position will be based at the office of ESCR-Net’s secretariat (near Grand Central Station in New York City). The normal working hours of the office are from 9am – 5pm, Monday through Friday.
IDEAL START DATE:
As soon as possible
The communications associate position is a full-time position with benefits, including medical coverage and generous vacation and paid leave. Pay is commensurate with experience and comparable to similar NGOs. ESCR-Net can discuss salary range during first interviews.
INCLUSIVE HIRING AND WORKPLACE:
ESCR-Net is committed to inclusive hiring practices and strives for a secretariat staff that represents the diversity of its members. ESCR-Net is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, persons with disabilities and people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or intersex communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, ethnicity, gender identity, medical condition (cancer-related), the conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS Related Conditions or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified persons with disabilities may participate in application processes. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your curriculum vitae along with a letter of interest to ESCR-Net at email@example.com with the subject line that includes “communications associate search” followed by your initials.
We encourage interested candidates to apply as early as possible as applications will be reviewed on arolling basis, beginning 22 October 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank youfor your understanding during this process.
*The job announcement will be posted until filled at: https://www.escr-net.org/job-opportunities