East 17th Street
Union Square Greenmarket
Union Square Greenmarket is our flagship farmers’ market. It is open 4 days a week, year-round. Each market day, between 30 and 75 farmers arrive, setup, sell, break-down and exit Union Square plaza under the supervision and guidance of Greenmarket staff.
Operations Coordinator Overview
There are two Operations Coordinators on the plaza every morning. They handle the opening of the market, ensuring proper load-in of farmer vehicles and tents; compliance with Greenmarket rules; assisting with at-market programming, and responding to issues on the ground. They also assist senior staff in planning market logistics and with any operational needs at-market. We are seeking detail-oriented, decisive, organized people who can handle early mornings and are comfortable working with a team.
Operations Coordinator Responsibilities:
● Draw the market layout on the plaza in chalk before farmers arrive, beginning at 4:30am.
● Oversee market setup and ensure farmer vehicles and tents conform to the market layout.
● Enforce Greenmarket rules and regulations.
● Resolve conflict in the market as it arises.
● Coordinate with senior staff on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis for logistical changes.
● Complete daily reports and assist with market paperwork.
● Assist with setup of Greenmarket info station and additional activities as needed.
This position requires working outdoors and standing for lengthy periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment. The coordinator should be able to lift heavy equipment and supplies, up to 50lbs.
● Ability to arrive at Union Square by 4:30am on your assigned days.
● Willingness to work Saturdays and holidays.
● We strongly prefer candidates with a valid driver’s license and capability to drive a large box truck.
● Enjoys talking with people of all backgrounds
● Works well both independently and as a member of a team
● Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and use good judgement to make on-the-spot decisions
The Operations Coordinator position is a full-time position which pays $35,000/year and includes a benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume and three references to Pam Knepper, firstname.lastname@example.org. Combine all submissions into one PDF and write “Union Square Operations” in the subject line. Interviews will be on a rolling basis until the position is filled. GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.