October 31, 2018
Kids First Chicago is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works to ensure that every child in Chicago has access to a high-quality public education regardless of race, background, or income. We believe that no family should have to sacrifice academics due to constraints on personal resources, information, or transportation. Therefore, we help families find and enroll in high-quality public schools that meet the needs of the student and parents.
We also believe that the current dialogue around education issues in Chicago is too divisive and politicized, and does not always focus on the best interests of our children. When real Chicago parents raise their voices, we can improve equality of access to educational opportunities across the city.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for creating relationships within designated community areas of the city and building our grassroots base of partners and supporters, including parents, school operators, community-based organizations, and policymakers. The Community Engagement Coordinator will be held to high expectations of performance with weekly and monthly goals for various outreach and enrollment activities including but not limited to one-on-ones, community meetings, school presentations, and enrollment workshops.
- Expand and strengthen our school enrollment services to support parents in accessing and enrolling their children in high-quality schools.
- Plan and execute community meetings, school enrollment events, and other occasional activities.
- Create and strengthen community-based partnerships with a diverse coalition of parents, community members, teachers, school operators, elected officials, and other key stakeholders.
- Identify, cultivate, and train new leaders within communities to advocate for educational equity and bring additional supporters to the cause.
- Track all interactions and engagement activity in organizational database.
- Additional strategic initiatives to further support family empowerment as assigned by CEO and Director of Community Engagement.
- Passion for helping children in underserved communities attain high-level educations.
- 1+ years of experience in some combination of community engagement, campaigns, or education.
- Relentless results-orientation and history of executing against a set of clearly defined metrics.
- High-level relationship building skills with the ability to build consensus, engage a wide range of stakeholders and allies, and navigate complex community and political dynamics.
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn about Chicago’s complicated array of school and program types, application requirements, and application processes.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with high expectations for both the quality and speed of work.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates with experience on the southwest side (Back of the Yards, Brighton Park, Little Village, Pilsen) or northwest side (Belmont Cragin, Humboldt Park, Hermosa) of the city are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ability to translate written organizational materials between Spanish and English, as needed.
Our competitive package includes excellent health and dental coverage, an FSA, a 401K plan with matching, and pre-tax commuter benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Candidates fluent in Spanish and English are preferred.
Minimum Education Required