MENTOR Vermont is a statewide non-profit organization that provides funding, resources, and support to youth mentoring programs across Vermont so they can meet the needs of young people in their communities. MENTOR Vermont is an affiliate member of MENTOR: National, a national network of organizations invested in high quality mentoring relationships and closing the mentoring gap.
At MENTOR Vermont, we are a highly collaborative and tight-knit team. We are encouraging, supportive and believe in work-life balance. We value the whole person that each of us bring to work each day. We are continuous learners and push each other to think creatively. We hold each other accountable. We celebrate, play, and laugh (a lot!). We are motivated and inspired by youth voice. We are committed to growing mentoring opportunities for Vermont youth and supporting mentoring programs to make that a reality. We are looking to expand our team to further our reach and make a bigger impact...join us!
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
MENTOR Vermont is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. MENTOR Vermont is committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion for all. We embrace our differences and celebrate our common humanity in advancing awareness of the need for and transformative power of supportive relationships for our young people. We believe that varied perspectives, experiences, and opinions are central assets in our mission to close the mentoring gap. As we seek to build the most complementary team when it comes to skill, perspective, and experience, we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBLITIES
The Training and Support Director will oversee MENTOR Vermont’s programmatic systems of support for youth mentoring across the state, including the direct support of mentoring organizations. MENTOR Vermont currently collaborates with approximately 30 mentoring organizations (a mixture of youth serving non-profits, non-profit prevention coalitions, and school districts/supervisory unions). This position will work collaboratively with the Executive Director and other MENTOR Vermont staff to ensure youth mentoring in Vermont has the resources and assistance necessary to sufficiently support youth and mentors.
As a staff member of MENTOR Vermont and part of the national MENTOR Affiliate network, the Training and Support Director will play a valuable role in State and National mentoring initiatives. This may include committee participation, strategy sharing and generating resources that can elevate the MENTOR brand and positively impact the mentoring movement.
Mentoring Program Support
- Provide responsive and proactive assistance and support to youth mentoring organizations throughout Vermont through engaging with mentoring organizations individually and in groups.
- Represent MENTOR Vermont on the Vermont Mentoring Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee and be the lead staff member on implementing the committee’s recommendations and to help mentoring organizations with incorporating DEI into their work.
- Promote, utilize, and execute technical assistance through the National Mentoring Resource Center – a system that enables MENTOR Vermont to provide no-cost technical assistance to individual mentoring organizations.
- Implement the Quality Mentoring System to assist mentoring programs in meeting nationally-recognized best practices.
- Act as point person for collaborating with the Vermont Program Leadership Council to ensure MENTOR Vermont is meeting the needs of youth mentoring in the state.
- Curate and coordinate a catalog of trainings for program staff and mentors.
- Organize and implement the yearly Vermont Mentoring Symposium for mentoring program staff.
- Establish a statewide, virtual, new mentor training for mentors that mentoring organizations can use to supplement their own new mentor training.
- Design and implement a MENTOR Vermont orientation for new staff at mentor organizations.
- Implement, improve, and oversee MENTOR Vermont’s program support systems. This may include, but is not limited to:
- VT Mentoring Hub: an online platform for mentoring staff to more easily communicate, share resources, and learn from one another.
- Online Program Directory: a statewide searchable directory of mentoring programs.
- VT Mentoring Database: a mentoring program management system.
- Mentor Discount Card: a program that allows mentor matches to receive discounts for match activities at local businesses.
- National Record Check System: a national record check system facilitated by MENTOR Vermont that is offer, for free, to mentoring organizations.
- Assist with developing program evaluation frameworks, as requested, and support mentoring organizations’ implementation of evaluation frameworks.
Program Expansion & Awareness Building
- Expand youth mentoring in Vermont by supporting the strategic growth of existing mentoring organizations and establishing new programs in underserved areas of the state.
- Oversee MENTOR Vermont’s K-12 Mentoring Initiative by working with mentoring organizations to develop and strengthen the infrastructure that allows mentor matches to continue meeting through the mentee’s high school graduation and pursue post-high school opportunities.
- Advocate for the centering of youth voice in the mentoring field.
- Oversee and implement MENTOR Vermont’s yearly marketing plan including but not limited to:
- Social Media engagement: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Monthly E-Newsletter
- Yearly Mentor Ambassador Awards
- National Mentoring Month materials and promotion
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS
- 3+ years in a professional role of running and/or supporting youth mentoring programs.
- Demonstrated success developing, implementing, and overseeing organizational systems and tools.
- Strong track record with social media and digital communications.
- Fluent with using assets-based versus deficit-based language and framing.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills across a diversity of stakeholders and partners.
- Comprehensive problem-solving skills and the ability to implement solutions in a timely manner.
- Ability to lead complex and long-term projects to successful and on-time outcomes.
- Self-driven and able to effectively collaborate with others in a complex and fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Proficient in email marketing platforms (MailChimp) and graphic design (Adobe InDesign).
- Ability to quickly learn new software systems and well versed in Microsoft and Google Suites.
- Preferred: Web design and management (WordPress).
- Passionate toward elevating youth voice and the positive impacts of youth mentoring.
- An unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, & inclusion, and an eagerness to challenge MENTOR Vermont to continue to grow, improve, and sustain change in this area.
- Desire to work with a passionate, fun and collaborative team, striving to ensure youth in Vermont have the supportive mentoring relationships they need to thrive.
- Alignment with MENTOR Vermont’s core values, and a commitment to embodying those values.
- This is a full-time position based in Burlington, Vermont. While we are currently working remotely due to COVID-19, we expect to return to a hybrid model of remote and in-person work in our Burlington offices in the near future.
- Employees working remotely must have adequate internet to achieve the functions of their job.
- MENTOR Vermont requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
MENTOR Vermont is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.