ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the direction of the Controller, the Assistant Controller supervises the Payroll Accountants and Finance Associates. This position oversees the ongoing monitoring of transactions, analysis, and related internal controls using high-level technical accounting skills, and prepares and oversees monthly recurring processes and reports.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which supports a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office, or partially remote. This is a remote-based position which will require quarterly travel to the Arcata, CA office. Our ideal candidate is based in the Pacific time zone.
This position has an anticipated closing date of 31 January 2022.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Supervisor of the Payroll Accountants and Finance Associates.
- Monitors shared email accounts to ensure timely responses to recodes, expense reimbursements, and payroll requests.
- Ensures all payroll procedures are completed timely and accurately including semi-monthly payroll processing and monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll tax return filings.
- Maintains confidentiality in all personnel related items.
- Prepares audit reports and tax returns relate to payroll such as 401k, workers compensation, W2s, 941s, DBA insurance, etc.
- Supervises the administration of the Corporate Credit Cards and all associated transactions.
- Manages and acts as subject matter expert for general ledger accounts monthly including both cash and non-cash accounts.
- Prepares and loads journal entries into accounting systems and maintains files for all journal entries.
- Reviews Finance Associates' journal entries and invoices to assure proper coding and approvals, providing direction and oversight to accounts payable.
- Maintains various accounting schedules such as prepaid and accrued expenses.
- Assists with payment review and employee access in online payment portals.
- Manages month end and year end close entries and processes.
- Subject matter expert in Absence, Timesheets, and Payroll modules.
- Recommends actions to be taken for identified financial and business risk situations and participates in the continuous improvement of accounting processes.
- Under guidance of the Vice President of Accounting and Finance, assumes Controller duties when Controller is on leave or traveling.
- Other duties as assigned.
- In all duties, understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Proven ability to effectively manage a team, including mentoring, task monitoring and training.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, or a closely related field.
- At least 4 years of accounting experience with increasingly complex responsibilities.
- Thorough knowledge of not-for-profit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and ability to implement these principles in a field office environment.
- Experience in the review, development, and implementation of accounting processes for best practices, efficiency, and standardized internal control processes.
- Technical and logistical problem-solving capabilities and ability to manage competing deadlines.
- High degree of social adaptability and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively mentor direct reports.
- Advanced MS Office Suite skills, particularly Excel.
- Experience in accounting procedures training to a variety of staff skill levels.
- Advanced degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field.
- Working knowledge of OMB Circulars A-133 and A-122 and 2CFR200.
- Experience with enterprise-level non-profit accounting software.
- CPA or equivalent.