2100 Fourth Avenue N
The Church Administrator will support the staff and oversee the operations and facility of First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham. Responsibilities include property management, staff supervision, HR, and office oversight.
Desired skills and experience:
- 3+ years of experience in property/facilities management
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and with a team
- Ability to manage staff; supervisory or management experience preferred
- Experience with ACS church financial management software or a willingness to learn
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Experience in HR or related field a plus
- Must pay attention to detail while keeping the big picture in mind
- Flexible and able to manage multiple competing priorities
- Ideally, will have love for old buildings and a willingness to help however needed to care for our sacred space
Job duties include:
· Work with Personnel Committee to update and maintain employee handbook, policies and procedures
· Work with Christian Educator to recruit and train church nursery workers on church policies and procedures
· Perform all new employee onboarding functions (background checks, I-9s, withholding paperwork, etc)
· Maintain personnel files of hourly employees
· Supervise hourly employees, including Sexton, consulting regularly with Head of Staff
· In conjunction with Personnel Committee and Head of Staff, schedule annual reviews for hourly employees
· Review and authorize time cards as reported bi-weekly; run payroll reports in accurate and timely manner to ensure staff are compensated fairly and hourly workers are paid for time worked; ensure payroll is submitted as required to outside payroll company bi-weekly
· Receive and approve or reject requests for paid time off from hourly workers; maintain accurate time records for hourly staff regarding paid time off as authorized by employee handbook
· Develop and maintain job descriptions for hourly employees
· Hold quarterly meetings with administrative and facilities staff to ensure job requirements and goals are met
BUILDING & FACILITY MAINTENANCE
· Oversee maintenance of church building
· Work with CDC Director and other tenants to coordinate building use as necessary. Establish equitable arrangements to maintain use of property to benefit both church and other tenants.
· Work in conjunction with Property Team to determine repair and maintenance needs and develop a regular maintenance schedule.
· Work closely with Property Team and FPC Foundation to allocate funds necessary to maintain and repair property.
· Communicate with Head of Staff, Church Treasurer, Administration & Finance Team and/or Session as needed to obtain authorization for expenditures for repair and maintenance. Ensure timely and accurate payment of repair and maintenance bills. Solicit competitive bids on jobs to obtain competitive rates and negotiate contracts as favorably as possible for the church.
· Ensure the security of the building by maintaining fire and security systems and protocols, tracking church keys and access, and changing security codes as necessary
· Review contracts and negotiate as necessary, in order to ensure the most cost efficient companies are engaged
· Oversee office IT systems and ensure server and staff computers are functioning and up-to-date.
· Oversee office expenditures and correlate expenditures to budget allocations
· Work with bookkeeper and financial institutions to accomplish stock and money market transfers made by contributors in a timely manner to credit the contributors within the time frame anticipated
· Ensure payments to mission partners are made in a timely manner
· Make weekly deposits; post contributions; run quarterly statements; be available to contributors, as necessary, to answer questions and maintain accurate giving reports
· Attend monthly meeting of Administration & Finance Team. Consult as needed with Bookkeeper and Treasurer on financial matters
This job involves light work, sitting and walking, with occasional kneeling, lifting, and climbing. Candidates must have close visual acuity and be able to make general observations of facilities and structures. Work will be both inside and occasionally outside.
First Presbyterian Church is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or political persuasion.
Level of Language Proficiency
English - fluent
Minimum Education Required