JOB DESCRIPTION: The Postsecondary Career and Employment Specialist will be part of the Career Coaching initiative, a partnership among the Boston Private Industry Council (PIC), Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC), and Success Boston, the City-wide college completion initiative. The initiative will help Success Boston students successfully transition from BHCC to careers or to 4-year-college. The PIC Career Coaching team will offer scaffolded support, starting with career exploration, progressing to internships, and culminating in next-step placement upon graduation—or transfer to a four-year college with a good direction around career and major. The PIC Career Coaching team will also provide current information on high-paying jobs in Boston, and what kind of skills and credentials students will need to get there, so that they can make informed decisions about how to attain a high-quality career based on the realities of the regional job market.
The Postsecondary Career and Employment Specialist will have the additional duty of working with BHCC and the PIC to identify and recruit jobs, internships, and job shadow experiences that align with students’ career interests.
Developing career explorations opportunities (55%)
1. Work with BHCC Lifemap department to connect students to BHCC-sponsored career assessment and exploration activities.
2. Work with the PIC and BHCC’s Professional Studies department to identify jobs, internships, and career explorations opportunities for students and graduates.
3. Network with relevant employer associations and convenings to stay current on labor market demands and opportunities.
4. Help graduates find career-oriented employment related to their major or career goal.
Career Coaching (35%)
1. Develop and offer a sequence of career exploration and planning services that allow students to explore their interests and the career opportunities that are available, including:
· Career interest assessments and planning tools
· Up-to-date information on demand and salaries of jobs and career fields in Boston
· On-line career exploration activities
· Virtual and in-person activities with employers.
2. Meet with students at least twice a month, to get to know their interests and academic program, as well as providing career coaching.
3. Maintain regular communication with students’ Success Boston coach to align career coaching activities with the flow of students’ academic activities and the rhythm of the semester.
4. Schedule virtual and in-person job shadows, interviews, networking events, and other career exploratory activities for students to help them develop career goals and plan their majors.
Program Reporting, Research and Evaluation (5%)
1. Maintain accurate records, enters case notes and employer contact information in Salesforce data base.
2. Participate in ongoing citywide Success Boston tracking of outcomes, evaluation of services, and program development.
1. Attend PIC meetings and events.
2. Support PIC staff within the postsecondary team and on other PIC teams.
3. Perform additional duties as required.
4. Attends relevant Success Boston events and learning communities:
1. Job placement or job development experience.
2. Experience with career coaching young adults with diverse backgrounds.
3. Knowledge of career assessment and career decision-making resources for young adults.
4. Knowledge of local colleges, communities, and web-based resources.
5. Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills;
6. Bilingual skills a plus.
7. Ability to initiate, multi-task, and balance work projects.
8. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team.
9. Capacity to travel throughout the Greater Boston area.
10. 5 years of related work experience.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Postsecondary Career and Employment Specialist will be part of the Career Coaching initiative, a partnership among the Boston Private Industry Council (PIC), Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC), and Success Boston, the…
Bilingual skills a plus.
Bilingual skills a plus.