247 East 20th Street
Director of Development
The LearningSpring School (LSS), located in the NYC, Gramercy area, is a publicly funded private school serving children diagnosed on the autism spectrum in grades K-8.
LSS seeks a results-driven, highly organized, creative and detail oriented Director of Development. S/he will serve as a visible representative of the school to direct and implement the fundraising program. Working closely with the Development Committees and Board, s/he will cultivate and steward donors, create a culture of philanthropic giving and facilitate the growth and achievement of fundraising goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop fundraising goals and strategies with the Head of School, Development Committee and other volunteers.
- Establish and maintain a development office and organize all development activities, including supervision of staff and volunteers and maintenance of donor database. Responsible for implementing development policies and procedures.
- Provide staff support to the Development Committee and subcommittees. Train and manage fundraising volunteers.
- Plan, organize and implement a growing and diverse fundraising program including major gifts, the annual campaign, special events, public and private grants, direct mail, telephone, email/web-based solicitations.
- Participate as a member of the school’s leadership team and contribute to strategic and annual planning to set goals and identify priorities.
- Prepare, manage and monitor, in conjunction with the Director of Administration and Finance, an approved budget for the development program. Provide regular progress reports on fundraising goals and expenses.
- Develop and implement cultivation events, solicitations and recognition of current and prospective donors.
- Personally solicit major gifts.
- Oversee and conduct research on prospective private, corporate, foundation and government funding
- Prepare and track grant proposals.
- Prepare regular communications for donors, prospects and the wider community. Assist with development of LSS materials and publications with an eye on donor cultivation and stewardship. Responsible for keeping current on the academic program of LSS and with issues and trends in the development field.
- Other duties as requested by the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred. CFRE a plus.
- 3-5 years of professional fundraising experience, preferably in the school environment.
- Proven experience in designing and managing development and alumni relations programs.
- Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, parents, administrators, and faculty.
- Outstanding diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with a diverse community of individuals and constituents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Word, Excel and extensive internet use; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge desirable.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team.
- Responsible, dependable and able to perform with the highest level of integrity and ethics.
- Experience in K-12 Education in NYC highly desirable.
Full Time position. Salary is commensurate with experience Generous benefits package
Health, dental and vision coverage
Paid time off
Paid professional development
Flexible Spending - medical, transit and dependent care
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume, cover letter (please include salary requirements) to Resumes@learningspring.org.
Please do not call the school directly.