Location: New York City preferred (Remote location will be considered)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit ELeducation.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Product is a newly created leadership role reporting to the Managing Director of Product. The Director of Product will be responsible for the day-to-day management of our K-8 Language Arts products and will support the development of the curriculum product roadmap and new product development.
In order to be successful in this role, the individual must have a solid understanding of curriculum product management best practices, possess excellent project management skills, and be able to effectively map product approaches that balance product requirements and customer needs. The ideal candidate has the ability to work within structures and can also be nimble and creative when a problem calls for an agile solution.
This is a new full-time, national position.
Estimated travel: 20% on average (examples of travel may include: internal team meetings, leadership meetings with colleagues, meetings with vendors)
- In collaboration with the Managing Director, Product develop and implement a multi-year product roadmap aligned to market demands and business goals. Define and oversee plans for the development of a suite of high quality print and online products.
- Partner with the Curriculum Design Team and other internal and external stakeholders to develop and launch multi-format curriculum products that hold EL Education’s vision of teaching and learning.
- Collaborate with the Partnerships Team to understand requirements from our product and distribution partners and work to build them into the product strategy and development process.
- Oversee the deployment of content across multiple platforms and constituents including pilots, testing, and national launches
- Develop a deep understanding of market needs, customer needs and market opportunities, using insights and feedback to connect short-term and long-term improvements to drive innovation.
Product Management & Production
With input from internal and external stakeholders as applicable, act as product owner for all existing editions of curriculum, including but not limited to:
- Determining life cycle of products
- Overseeing project management of new curriculum development or product update cycles
- Leading curriculum/product strategy for EL website and content updates
- Overseeing content delivery for digital and print production to product and distribution partners
- Tracking errors and integrating feedback to implement improvements through regular update cycles
- Coordinating internal and external messaging with Marketing and Communications Team
- Supporting product training for internal staff, consultants, and partner companies and organizations
- Overseeing internal and external curriculum product inquiries
- Monitoring key performance indicators and metrics, including tracking compliance with licenses
Performance Management and Talent Development
- Recruit, hire, supervise and retain a diverse team (staff and consultants) to maximize impact and staff growth potential
- Provide ongoing feedback and differentiated coaching to direct reports
- Ensure ongoing talent management, bench building and career development across team
- Develop and manage project specific and product management budgets ($1M+)
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Relevant experience and knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7-10 years of product management and/or publishing experience
- 3-5 years in the K-12 educational space, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading, managing, and building capacity of high-performing teams, including direct experience in product development for K-12 education end-users
- Strong interest in K-12 ELA curriculum
- Understanding of curriculum and instructional design considerations
- Experience in developing content both in print and optimized for digital platforms (web, tablets, etc.)
- Experience managing budgets
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel and Powerpoint
- Comfortable using or learning to use various types of technology / platforms (i.e. Google apps/docs/Hangout/Blackboard/Smartsheets)
- Basic knowledge of HTML preferred
- Strong people skills and willingness to work collaboratively; interest in and comfort with the need to solicit multiple perspectives on the path toward developing a coherent, integrated point of view
- Authentic self-reflection, self- awareness, and high emotional intelligence are central to who you are, and you utilize these skills to shape a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion,
- Ability to use market data combined with instinct and judgment to track market trends and predict customers’ future needs
- Excellent external and internal communication skills, including writing and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational planning and project management skills.
- Aptitude for developing effective processes and structures to manage complex projects - within and across teams.
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to analyze data to support recommendations.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively; excellent organization, self-management, relationship-building, and collaboration skills
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to adjust quickly to changing circumstances; strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to address strategic and tactical issues in parallel, and to transition from one to the other regularly and quickly
- Zeal for EL Education's mission and vision of student achievement
- Sense of humor; flexibility/adaptability
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online at www.ELeducation.org in the Careers section. No phone calls please. Thank you.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor