CFA is seeking a full-time Legislative Analyst to assist in policy analysis and coordinate the work of CFA’s Government Relations team. This is an entry level assignment working under the supervision of the Director of Government Relations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Identifying, researching, tracking, analyzing and reporting on legislative issues and activities impacting public higher education and the labor movement.
- Communicating legislative positions by drafting and distributing position letters and, on occasion, testifying in legislative committee settings.
- Assisting in departmental scheduling and administration, including maintaining department calendar, schedule and task lists; processing travel expenses and check requests.
- Maintaining paper and electronic department and committee records, including copying meeting materials, taking minutes, and maintaining files lists.
- Proofing and editing memoranda, letters, and other written documents.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently with modest supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking skills and the ability to explain complex policy issues in a simple way.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to draft correspondence, format and proofread materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team and build a strong professional network.
- Strong commitment to racial equity and social justice.
- 0-2 years of experience; this is an entry level position.
- Familiarity with or desire to learn about the California legislative and budget process.
Salary/Benefits/Other requirements: CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and generous paid leave. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; salary is commensurate with experience. Some travel required.
To apply send cover letter and resume with references and two writing samples to:
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required