Middle School Social Studies Teacher 2018-2019
- Job posted by Launch Expeditionary Learning Charter School
Launch Expeditionary Learning Charter School is part of a network of 11 EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) and NYC Outward Bound schools in New York City and is the NYC network’s first charter school. EL is a proven educational model being implemented in over 150 district, charter and independent schools across the country. Launch's mission is to prepare students in under-resourced communities to thrive in college and careers by providing a public education rooted in active learning experiences and powerful character development. We believe that students at all levels can be pushed and supported to do more than they think possible.
Launch is seeking middle school Social Studies teachers with a track record of success to join a highly motivated, curious, intelligent, and passionate staff of educators.
The ideal candidate will model our Launch Operating Values:
- Everything with Integrity – Always works to do what is best and right for our community. Inspires confidence in others through consistent honesty and care.
- Thoughtful and Intentional – All decisions are driven by what is best for kids and improving achievement. Reflective and focused on continuous improvement and growth.
- Clear Communication – Communicates directly and openly with all constituents.
- Leading with Urgency – Does whatever it takes to make things happen. Acts proactively.
- Relentless Optimism – Demonstrates an unyielding belief that we can accomplish our goals. Is solutions-oriented both in spoken and written communication.
- Professionalism – Meets professional deadlines with high-quality work that pays attention to detail. Follows through on all Launch procedures and policies.
At Launch you will:
(Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following.)
- Support all students in Launch’s three dimensions of student achievement: Mastery of Knowledge and Skills; developing Strong Character; and producing High Quality Work.
- Co-teach 4 sections of Social Studies each day
- Implement research-based curriculum
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the reading and writing progress of all students by tracking and monitoring progress and growth on a daily, weekly and quarterly basis
- Demonstrate authentic interest and enthusiasm for your content to engage students in the learning
- Collaborate with a co-teacher to plan, teach and reflect on high impact daily lessons
- Create a rigorous and engaging learning environment for Launch students
- Differentiate instruction using the most appropriate co-teaching model to ensure that all students achieve mastery of learning targets
- Establish and maintain consistent classroom expectations and routines in a student-centered classroom through use of our anchor techniques
- Use formative assessments to drive daily instruction
- Develop character by modeling, teaching and holding students accountable to demonstrate our Habits of Heart and Mind: Compassion, Wonder, Perseverance, Craftsmanship, Mindfulness and Accountability
- Communicate and maintain strong relationships with students and their families
- Lead a daily small advisory group (called Crew) by modifying and implementing existing curriculum
- Prepare students to lead Student-Led Conferences and Presentations of Learning
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of common core middle school Social Studies content and the desire to develop exceptional pedagogical content knowledge in Social Studies
- Unwavering commitment to Launch’s mission and to the EL Education model
- Exceptional ability to demonstrate our operating values in every aspect of their work
- Exceptional ability to develop and maintain productive and collaborative relationships
- Middle school experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- Teaching experience in an urban setting preferred
- Valid State Certification
Compensation: Highly competitive and commensurate with experience, along with a full benefits package.
Launch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of race, color, creed, sex, age, culture, national origin, marital status, sexual preference or mental or physical disability.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit our website: