Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience.
515 South Flower Street
The California Wellness Foundation is seeking an accountant with a proactive nature to be a careful steward of our accounts payable, grants payable and expense reporting processes, and to assist the finance team with maintaining financial records and preparation of reports and regulatory filings. The accountant will work collaboratively with all levels of staff, external consultants and vendors. The ideal candidate will possess an interest in philanthropy and the Foundation’s mission, vision and values.
The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to improve the health of the people of California. One of the largest health-focused foundations in California, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees, public policy grantmaking and focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. The Foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes three interrelated portfolios: Bridging the Gaps in Access and Quality Care, Promoting Healthy and Safe Neighborhoods and Expanding Education and Employment Pathways. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion.
In 2017, Cal Wellness celebrated its 25th anniversary. As the Foundation opens the chapter on its next 25 years, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies to advance its mission, including exploring program-related investments. Cal Wellness is a statewide and responsive grantmaker, and staff travel throughout California to connect with leaders and communities.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff and Board, and continues to enhance its deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. The Foundation’s commitment is both internal and external. The Foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
- Coordinates and facilitates the payment of incoming invoices and payment request documents in compliance with internal protocol for approval authority.
- Verifies signature certification or receipt in accordance with current policies.
- Notifies appropriate personnel of payment discrepancies and proactively resolves issues.
- Administrator of Concur Expense reporting – collaboratively working with staff to meet deadlines in compliance with foundation policies.
- Reconciles Monthly American Express account totals so expense reports tie to general ledger every month
- Works with Grants Management to import grants and matching gifts data into Dynamics, verifies information and processes grant checks.
- Manages open purchase orders and all consulting contracts
- Prepares journal entries and account reconciliations
- Provides support for Foundation’s outside auditors during annual audit and assists with the preparation of schedules and required information for the auditors.
- Prepares and maintains year-end 1099 information and documents.
- Prepares several regulatory filings and supports preparation of the 990-PF and annual budget.
- Participates in professional development activities .
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of accounts payable experience within a business office environment. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL and Management Reporter (report writer) or other accounting-related software systems. Experience using Concur for expense reporting a plus.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general ledger, and financial analysis is a plus.
- Proficiency with accounting database programs.
- Strong knowledge of accounts payable and expense reporting.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet (Excel), database, and word processing applications, accounting software maintenance.
- Solid planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy, protocol and deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to interact collaboratively with all levels of staff, external consultants and professional networks.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and follow-through to effectively manage work flow and meet deadlines.
- High level of flexibility and responsiveness with the ability to shift priorities quickly and as organizational demands require.
- Ability to function and interact in a professional level capacity to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation.
- Ability to understand and consider organizational culture and change.
- Ability to take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively.
- Interest in philanthropy and the Foundation’s mission and operations.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, and duties may differ from those as outlined above.
The benefits package includes a variety of health plans, a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid time off, professional development and educational opportunities, matching gifts, and the opportunity to work at a mission- and values-driven organization.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please upload your resume and cover letter. We will respond to candidates chosen for further consideration.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.