The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) exists to meet the legal and advocacy needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. With a legal staff of ten (10) and a corps of 350 volunteer lawyers, paralegals, and law students, HAP engages in direct outreach to homeless individuals in need of legal services.
ABOUT US: Established in 1990, the Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is the only legal services organization dedicated to providing direct civil legal services to individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. HAP also advocates for the needs of the City’s homeless population.
VISION: All Philadelphians at risk of or experiencing homelessness have equal access to justice and the means to secure safe and stable housing.
MISSION: To provide free civil legal services and advocacy to reduce the frequency and duration of homelessness in the greater Philadelphia area.
HAP is seeking a Part-Time Volunteer Coordinator to oversee:
Job Functions, Essential Duties, and Responsibilities
· Recruit, train, motivate, and retain law firms and corporate legal department volunteers.
· Participate and represent HAP at monthly large law firm Pro Bono meetings and bi-monthly Philadelphia Bar Association Delivery of Legal Services Committee Pro Bono meetings.
· Speak at law schools, law firms, and bar functions to promote HAP’s mission, increase HAP visibility, and expand HAP’s volunteer base.
· Organize introductory and substantive legal trainings for volunteers.
· Develop and update HAP recruitment and training materials.
· Update forms files and resource and legal manuals for HAP’s website and for distribution to HAP volunteers.
· Liaison to the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Board and administer attorneys’ CLE credits by assuring accurate reporting.
· Maintain volunteer appreciation, including sending thank you letters to volunteers who handle cases.
· Send annual thank you letters to Managing Partners of firms.
· Use HAP website and social media to increase volunteer involvement and visibility.
· Coordinate with HAP staff regarding volunteer case assignment.
· Assign and track progress of volunteer cases.
· Monitor volunteers’ work and ensure they receive appropriate HAP support.
· Close volunteer-assigned cases on HAP Case Management System.
· Develop annual HAP legal clinic schedule and post/ update schedule on HAP website.
· Publicize legal clinics.
· Ensure staffing of all HAP legal clinics.
· Maintain pro bono statistics of volunteer work for HAP by law firms and companies.
· Maintain up-to-date contact information on volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and law students in HAP Client Management Database.
· Electronically survey volunteers to help HAP improve its pro bono program.
· Organize annual meeting with HAP Adopt Coordinators.
· Work with HAP Director of Development to promote financial support from law firms, corporations, and individual volunteers.
· Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA-accredited University and licensed to practice law in PA. If not currently licensed will consider someone with prior legal experience.
· Demonstrated interest in public interest law and experience working with low-income populations
· Ability to handle multiple priorities and work with minimal supervision.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Client Databases, and Social Media, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
· Familiarity with the Philadelphia Legal Community.
· Knowledge of and commitment to HAP’s vision, mission, and values.
· Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
· Creativity and Innovation
HAP is currently working limited days in the office. To keep our employees safe, we require masks in the common areas of our office and when social distancing is not possible.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic information, or veteran status.
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) exists to meet the legal and advocacy needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. With a legal staff of ten (10) and a corps of 350 volunteer…
Spanish a plus.
Spanish a plus.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, candidates are urged to submit their materials by July 26, 2021. Please include a letter expressing in detail your interest in the position; your qualifications and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com in Microsoft Word or pdf format to Tanya L. Rambert, Director of Operations, HAP, 1429 Walnut St., 15th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
No Recruiters Please.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, candidates are urged to submit their materials by July 26, 2021…