Details: The salary range has been benchmarked with similarly organizations: $30,000 to $45,000.
Operation Paws for Homes, Inc. (“OPH”) rescues dogs of all breeds and ages from high-kill shelters reducing the numbers being euthanized. With limited resources, the shelters put down between 50% and 90% of the animals that come in the front door. Our organization provides pet adoption services to families located in Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania and neighboring states.
OPH does not operate a shelter or have a physical location. We rely on foster families who open their homes to each dog before finding a forever home. Through the foster care program, we learn about each dog and their needs to provide information to potential adopters. We believe in responsible adoptions and strive to find a good match for each adopter and lifestyle.
Operation Paws for Homes, a 501(c)(3) organization, is 100% donor funded. We receive no funding from federal, state, or county governments. As a result, we rely on donations, grants, donor generosity and adoption fees to save the dogs that join our organization.
The ideal candidate will be able to work in a fast-paced environment and effectively communicate with and engage the public as well as OPH’s current and future volunteers. The Volunteer Manager will supervise the volunteer program and cultivate volunteer opportunities, promote strong working relationships between volunteers, and ensure the best possible match between organizational needs and volunteer capabilities.
Applicant must be experienced in handling a wide-range of management duties with a team and be able to work independently with minimal supervision. Applicant must be well organized, motivated and able to grow and support OPH’s volunteer program. Applicants should have a keen understanding on how to development, implement, and supervise programs/projects from inspection to completion and be able to verbally articulate this process as well as create standard work to support the program/project.
Successful applicants will be asked to shadow and experience various volunteer teams during the onboarding process. In addition, we will ask candidates in the final round of the interviews to volunteer with select volunteer teams and use that experience to answer questions on program development objectives.
The ability to inspire, motivate and retain volunteers in a volunteer-driven organization that has high-pressured projects and ever-changing challenges, while remaining calm, focused, resourceful, patient and efficient, is critical to this role. Further, applicant must be professional, well-versed in both written and verbal communications, be compassionate towards dogs, and demonstrate excellent attention to detail to ensure an efficient and effective movement forward of the organization.
- Liaise with OPH Directors to assess organizational volunteer needs
- Strategic planning for volunteer utilization and organization
- Manage and oversee all volunteer recruitment activities
- Create, implement and manage program to train incoming volunteers and establish volunteer mentorship structure
- Create channels to effectively communicate with new and established volunteers/fosters regarding volunteer opportunities, events, needs, and all organizational programming
- Facilitate volunteer orientations and training sessions
- Oversee maintenance of database for current and past volunteers/fosters
- Coordinate communication to volunteers
- Facilitate volunteer outreach and education events as well as volunteer retention activities
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects, with follow-through in a timely manner
- Trouble-shoot urgent issues
- Organize and ensure organization and program teams are effectively staffed with volunteers to further organization’s mission
- Prepare monthly volunteer reports/statistics
- Manage and oversee volunteer recognition efforts
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage and motivate many volunteers spread out over geographic regions
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and follow precise instructions
- An understanding that non-profit work requires flexibility in implementation of organizational goals
- Openness to new ideas and divergent opinions, and a willingness to apply new ideas and approaches to work
- Ability to present to groups over the phone, via email and in-person
- Strong self-starter with initiative who is detail-oriented and resourceful
- Work autonomously and perform well under pressure
- Knowledge of MS Office, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, social media portals, and strong email skills
- Passion for dogs balanced with level of professionalism
- Management and/or team leadership experience
- Must have own cell phone and computer
This job requires a major commitment and is challenging and demanding. The job is also incredibly rewarding for an individual who is passionate and devoted to rescuing dogs.
The candidate will work out of their home, but will be requested to participate in events and fundraisers located throughout the DMV area. Our volunteers are located throughout Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and southern Pennsylvania. Candidates located in these geographic regions are preferred.
Salary will be based on the candidate’s experience and demonstrated ability to immediately fulfill the responsibilities outlined above.
The candidate will work out of their home, but will be requested to participate in events and fundraisers located throughout the DMV area.
OPH does not offer a 401k or health care insurance. OPH does provide vacation and personal days and recognizes national holidays.
We are open to the possibility that the position will evolve into a larger director level position if the candidate demonstrates the requisite skills and desire for a larger role within the organization.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields (management, nonprofit work, communications) a plus
- Experience in nonprofit organization(s) a strong plus
- Experience in volunteer management a strong plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume along with any additional pertinent information to Mindy@ophrescue.org. Please include the position title in the email subject line. If you have nonprofit experience that is not reflected in your resume, please include a cover letter.