Details: Annual salary, based on hourly rate, experience and ability. Hourly rate starts at $22/ hr.
The Personal Trainer develops, plans and administers expert fitness instruction and personal attention to members in a safe, enjoyable and positive environment that promotes member health, fitness and engagement. These general functions will be carried out in keeping with the Goals, Policies and Mission of the YMCA of the East Bay.
1. Help clients set and meet specific goals to improve their fitness by designing and implementing customized personal training programs based on the specific needs of the client.
2. Demonstrate proper, safe and effective exercise technique, as well as provide feedback, corrections and modifications to accommodate differing fitness levels and injuries/medical conditions.
3. Communicate and coordinate with clients and respond to inquiries. Market the personal training program as required to members and meet program goals.
4. Maintain working knowledge of fitness trends and equipment to provide effective information and support to members.
5. Maintain safe fitness center environment and report damaged equipment.
6. Maintain accurate records as required.
7. Maintain all relevant certifications, including first aid related and professional exercise certifications.
8. Maintain professional appearance and a healthy lifestyle.
9. Actively participate in workshops, trainings and staff meetings as directed by the supervisor.
10. Follow all YMCA policies and procedures, such as emergency respondent protocol.
11. Support special events, assist in other areas, and perform other duties as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
· Physically perform all skills required of a personal trainer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
· Meet and maintain the strength and lifting requirements as required by a personal trainer
· Mobility to respond quickly to an emergency
· Ability to project, communicate and queue effectively
· Developing Self and Others
· Communication and Influence
· Current certification(s) from a relevant nationally recognized personal training organization, such as ACSM, NASM, ACE and/or YMCA equivalent. Kettlebell, TRX, OWL, CCFT, certifications desired.
· One year of fitness related experience
· Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications, such as Red Cross and American Heart Association
· Ability to teach and design programs using free weights, variable resistance, flexibility exercise and cardiovascular equipment
· Ability to relate effectively to diverse people from all social and economic segments of the community
· Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and other computer programs necessary to perform the duties of the job
· At least 18 years of age
The Y is a nonprofit like no other. That’s because in 10,000 neighborhoods across the nation, we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but deliver positive change.
- The Y is community centered. For nearly 160 years, we’ve been listening and responding to our communities.
- The Y brings people together. We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to bridge the gaps in community needs.
- The Y nurtures potential. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
- The Y has local presence and global reach. We mobilize local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change.
Our Commitment to Inclusion: The Y is made up of people of all ages and from every walk of life working side by side to strengthen communities. Together we work to ensure that everyone, regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, ideology, income, national origin, race or sexual orientation has the opportunity to reach their full potential with dignity. Our core values are caring, honesty, respect and responsibility—they guide everything we do.
Benefits include: Y Membership, Health, Dental, PTO and holiday time off, retirement, upon meeting eligibility requirements.
The Y is dedicated to helping you to reach your professional goals through coaching, career pathing and a comprehensive leadership development and certification system that encourages learning at all stages of your career.
Level of Language Proficiency
Multiple languages preferred.
Minimum Education Required