The Business Manager serves as the principal financial officer of the preschool. She/he is responsible for budget development and oversight, working closely with the Head of School and Finance Chair, reporting monthly on revenue and expenses. The Business Manager provides professional and reliable support on all tasks relating to accounting/bookkeeping of the program and fundraising activities. She/he also manages Human Resource needs, such as health insurance and retirement in support of all staff, and coordinates with the Educational Program Administrator on an ongoing basis pertaining to tuition billing and payments, processing deposits and responding to inquiries received from parents.
The Business Manager role is part-time (estimated 15-20 hours per week) working at the preschool in Georgetown.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Revenue management: Ensure tuition revenue is properly recognized (prepaid tuition deposits, core, auxiliary programs and camp). Produce and distribute enrollment contracts and tuition invoices for core programs, summer programs and all program add-ons. Track and manage all receivables due to the school. Assist with real-time tracking of revenue and expenses associated with ECES, the book fair and other events as needed.
- Budget and expense management: Collaborate with the finance and operations committee and assist with budget drafting. Monitor progress against budgets.
- Cash management: Reconcile bank accounts, scan/record deposits, process checks, and record credit card transactions.
- Payroll and benefits management: Set-up payroll schedules for the new school year, maintaining accurate salary and insurance rate deductions. Process semi-monthly payroll and remit pension deposits. Manage all HR needs (health insurance, travel, retirement), as needed.
- Financial reporting: Perform accounting closing procedure (to include accruals and general ledger reviews) to produce financial statements. Assist with the preparation of reports for Board Meetings.
- Tax Management: Prepare and file the annual 990, 1099’s and other tax reporting, as applicable.
- General: Assist in other ways to support this vibrant preschool community of teachers, children and families.
- Desired Qualifications:
- BS/BA in business, accounting, or finance
- 7+ years prior experience in a mid/senior accounting role
- Demonstrated expertise in nonprofit accounting and tax matters, including revenue
- recognition rule and GAAP
- Quickbooks power-user (either QB desktop or QB online)
- CPA is desirable but not required