Our Mission and Our Work:
Protect Our Defenders (POD) is the only national organization solely dedicated to combating a pervasive culture of misogyny and sexual harassment in the military and ending the epidemic of rape and sexual assault and retribution against victims.
Our work includes: educating the public about the scope of the crisis, its impact on the military and civilian society, and the need for reform; researching and exposing dysfunction related to sexual assault and harassment in the military’s training and criminal justice systems and in the Veterans Administration (VA) system; advocating for the enforcement and respect of victims’ rights and for a safe and respectful environment for women, LGBTQ, and people of color serving in our military; amplifying survivors’ voices within the policy debate; helping survivors access support services, including providing pro bono legal assistance; and advocating for policy reforms that will ensure all survivors have access to a fair and impartially administered system of justice outside the chain of command.
The Department of Defense (DOD) is the world’s largest employer and – despite recent reforms – remains an unsafe and unfair work environment for many women and minorities. The US military, for good or ill, is a cultural beacon, with significant influence on our society as a whole. Consequently, further progress in the military has the potential for much broader societal impact. Rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment are pervasive in our military. This crisis results in wide-ranging negative effects on service members and on civilians and local communities as well. The prevalence of abuse and victim retribution, coupled with the military’s broken and dysfunctional justice system, has allowed the crisis to continue and damages the cohesion and morale of our armed forces, likely impacting performance and ultimately national security. The military’s commander-controlled justice system exacerbates the pain of sexual abuse and helps perpetuate an abusive and discriminatory environment. Moreover, it blunts the role of the military as a mechanism for upward social and economic mobility for women and marginalized communities. POD leads the effort to provide service members a safe and respectful work environment, free from sexual violence, misogyny, and discrimination. We work to improve the military’s justice system to ensure greater protections for victims and more accountability and transparency within the military justice process. POD’s success highlighting this issue and engaging directly with leaders in Congress, as well as in the Executive Branch and military services, has led to significant legislative and other policy reforms, administrative changes, and cultural shifts that have improved military processes and attitudes towards survivors. POD is well-positioned to leverage bi-partisan support in the Senate, successful with working with the media to expose injustice and abuse, and brings strength as an advocacy organization, rooted in the survivor community we serve, to continue driving critical reforms forward.
Protect Our Defenders is poised for significant growth, given the increasing prominence and significance of the issues we address. The Grants and Development Assistant should have an entrepreneurial spirit and will be a critical team member who will assist in moving the organization into larger-scale fundraising efforts. The Grants and Development Assistant will be responsible for all administrative aspects of development and public relations activities; provide support to the development team; and assist with grants management, tracking deliverables, file management and record keeping, meeting follow-ups, grant-seeking, writing reports and applications; and other related duties. The Grants and Development Assistant will play an important role by providing administrative support to the CEO and participating in all fundraising activities, including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, and special events. Strong organizational and writing skills is required.
• Assist with writing and editing of grant applications and reports.
• Assist in the creation of program budgets using Excel tables, including filtering and formulas.
• Manage administrative tasks, including meeting notes, financial submissions, and other internal documentation.
• Maintain online documentation for grants and development files.
• Schedule meetings and other activities, as well as providing logistical support to the team.
• Coordinate and collaborate with other staff on various grants and development initiatives.
• Liaise with POD’s program team to track program deliverables and milestones.
• Assist in the submission and tracking of grant adjustment requests.
• Process donations to include gift entry in database.
• Prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence needed by the CEO.
• Maintain record of foundation, corporate and individual donor correspondence for audit purposes.
• Create database reports as needed.
• Continually update and correct database records to ensure data integrity.
• Assist with preliminary research on corporate and private foundation opportunities that match POD’s programmatic goals and funding needs.
• Coordinate production and delivery of fundraising appeals.
• Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials, and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
• Prepare media materials for distribution (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
• Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
Skills and Knowledge
• Associates or bachelors (preferred) degree or equivalent work experience with a nonprofit agency in a relevant area. Will consider a candidate currently enrolled and pursuing a relevant degree.
• A minimum of one year’s experience in an administrative position, preferably in a nonprofit development office.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, emphasis on Word and Excel capability.
• Experience with development database entry and gift processing highly desirable.
• Excellent verbal communications skills.
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including a strong grasp of grammar, punctuation, and copy-editing.
• Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing, by given deadlines.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Commitment to the organization’s mission.
• Excellent organizing skills with high attention to detail and accuracy.
Protect Our Defenders seeks a high-energy, detail-oriented individual to work with a small, highly effective team of professionals to execute its mission: the eradication of military sexual assault and harassment in the workplace, as well as providing support for survivors of military sexual assault, harassment, and retaliation. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to actively contribute to a collaborative environment. Familiarity with military culture is a plus.
This is a full-time development position with flexible work options, ideal for someone at an entry-level of experience or someone desiring the flexibility of pursuing a graduate degree while maintaining full-time employment. The position affords a variety of experience and training that extends to all facets of nonprofit development work to include gift processing, annual appeal campaigns, event planning and execution, and donor cultivation and stewardship.
Location: Tysons Corner, VA
Thank you again for your interest in our mission. We value your support and passion!
Annual Report: https://www.protectourdefenders.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/POD_2017_REPORT_single_page.pdf
Protect Our Defenders is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and consider all applications without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin or physical ability. We are firmly committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter, outlining how they meet the specific desired skills and qualifications of the position to email@example.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted.