3720 Airport Way South
SUMMARY: SEIU6 Property Services NW is seeking an entry level organizer to work on membership representation, new organizing, and other projects on behalf of SEUI6 members; to take responsibility for assisting members, develop their programs and to act in a leadership role with members; and designing and implementing programs that meet the goals of SEIU6. We are currently hiring for both an Internal and External Organizer position.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Organizers perform a wide range of duties, which may include:
· Identify, recruit and develop shop stewards, political activists, committee members, and leaders within labor movement.
· Design, manage, organize, and implement internal campaigns such as recruitment, contract enforcement, or decertification campaigns.
· Handle grievances and worksite issues, as part of the contract enforcement.
· Participate in public policy activity within city and county politics, in some cases also at the state level, and other political work.
· Represent the union in community and labor coalitions when necessary.
· Design and implement membership communication programs within the Janitorial and Security sectors.
· Be willing to sometimes work irregular and long hours and weekends. This is not a 9-5 job.
· Other related duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to work independently but also as part of the SEIU6 team; self-starter; effective oral and written communication skills; ability to work well with a diverse group of people; computer literacy preferred; bilingual a plus but not required; organizational leadership experience required; ability to exercise high level of judgment. Driver’s License and car (with insurance) required.
PREFERENCES: People of color, multilingual, and women candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
SEIU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The Service Employees International Union is the nation’s fastest growing labor organization with 2 million members. SEIU is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building the power of low-wage workers, and engaging in larger social issues such as health care, housing, and immigration.
The Property Services Division is home to Stand For Security (security officer organizing) and Justice for Janitors (janitor organizing) campaigns, existing national drives to empower workers to unionize and improve working conditions as well as win significant wage gains, health insurance, full time work, and organizing rights for low-wage property service workers.
Competitive salary; excellent benefits, including employer-paid health insurance and pension; car allowance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and why you believe you are qualified, a current resume, and three job references.