District of Columbia
About the Role
The Obama Foundation is currently accepting applications for its Legal Fellowship. The Legal Fellow will work closely with Foundation attorneys to provide legal advice and assistance across a wide range of issues that arise in a fast-growing and mission-focused Presidential foundation. The Fellow will negotiate and draft contracts, help ensure Foundation compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and operationalize various internal policies and procedures. The Legal Fellow will also assist more senior lawyers by triaging and responding to a high volume of legal inquiries and issues. Issue areas include 501(c)(3) compliance, litigation risk analysis, intellectual property law, employment law, and commercial contract negotiation. The Legal Fellow will report to the Deputy General Counsel.
- Review, draft, and negotiate contracts under more senior lawyer supervision in support of the Operations, Digital, Programming, and International teams
- Play a key role in ensuring the Foundation’s compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, as well as internal policies
- Track contracts and ensure execution by administering the Legal Department’s contract management software and producing periodic contracting reports for senior staff
- Maintain ongoing communication and coordination of Legal Department policies and projects across departments within the Foundation
- Ensure accurate and complete Foundation legal and internal compliance records
- Assist in overseeing the work performed by outside law firms
- 1-year term, beginning late Summer or Fall 2018
- J.D. required with state bar admission and strong academic credentials
- Experience in transactional/corporate work preferred
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal
- Superior legal research, analytic ability, and project management skills that deliver excellent results
- Proficiency in legal research, including Lexis, WestLaw, and other research tools, as well as file and document management software
- Highly organized, with track record or demonstrated potential of meeting short- and long-term responsibilities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, high volume organization
- Flexible and motivated to take ownership of projects and demonstrate follow-through
- Exhibits sound judgment, accuracy, and integrity
- Proven ability to build effective relationships at all levels of the organization and across teams; builds trust quickly
Please submit your resume, law school transcript and application no later than June 14, 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, law school transcript and application no later than June 14, 2018 on the Foundation's website.