1014 Torney Avenue
Tides Advocacy is a team of political, legal, and financial experts that identify, connect, and fuel movements for social justice and the health of our democracy. We leverage our 25 year progressive network, navigate the rules, and solve problems in order to make advocacy.
Tides Advocacy has over 85 partners who represent activists, donors, movement leaders, lawyers, researchers, and journalists who are promoting equity, justice, and dignity for all. They are engaged in ballot, electoral, and legislative campaigns as well as public education and charitable activities.
From funder advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides Advocacy gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit tidesadvocacy.org.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Tides Advocacy Accounting Manager is primarily responsible for the Organization’s accounting functions including but not limited to monthly closing, financial reporting, quarterly and year-end statements and other management reports. The Accounting Manager performs and oversees quality accounting operations including accounting, project financial service and compliance work. The Accounting Manager‘s responsibility is to ensure internal controls are in place for the accounting, compliance and financial management operations and systems. This includes the accounting systems and controls governing processes for: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, cash receipts and cash balances and fund allocations, regulatory compliances, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, and managing grants. Additional responsibilities include state political committee reporting, Federal Elections Commission reporting, federal and state lobbying reporting and leading annual financial audit and tax reporting with outside auditors and tax accountants.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Accounting Manager is an exempt position. The Accounting Manager has a direct report of a Senior Accountant and works collaboratively with the Finance department at large. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting and Financial Management (40%)
- Ensures that the daily financial and accounting transactions are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulations including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board such as FASB 117 and 118, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations.
- Reviews grants and proposals, and billing processes to ensure adherence to and compliance with federal, state, local regulations.
- Reviews all accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll transactions.
- Coordinates annual financial audit and tax preparation for Tides Advocacy.
- Maintains general ledger processes, monthly close processes and procedures and other related finance tools.
- Reviews, evaluates and implements systems, policies and procedures; supplemental program bank account management and administration (e.g. political committees, merchant accounts).
- Supports a systems overhaul and improvement to modernize accounting systems.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting (15%)
- Leads budget development and monitoring processes for Tides Advocacy, including support for general operations and project directors to manage their respective budgets.
- Responsible for implementing and managing monthly, quarterly and annual close processes and procedures including critical reconciliations.
- Provides management with timely reviews of organization’s financial status and progress to management and projects.
- Prepares financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis for external stakeholders, internal management team and board of directors.
Project Finance Support (40%)
- Engages in direct contact with projects for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning.
- Tracks, reviews, and provides guidance on projects’ revenue and expenditures.
- Analyzes fund activity and ensure accuracy of allocations of funds to appropriate departments.
- Produces routine and customized financial reports.
- Provides financial data for inclusion in grant reports in partnership with program managers and philanthropic advisors.
- Responsible for developing financial tools and guides for client facing purposes.
Contracts and Vendor Relations (5%)
- Partners with internal customers to establish and/or maintain positive working relationships with clients, organizations, contractors, brokers, claim representatives, banks and other vendors.
- Reviews and executes contracts and agreements as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Director
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social justice.
- Working experience with NetSuite and Salesforce preferred.
- Exceptional knowledge of GAAP/FASB requirements. Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and procedures. Tolerance for and ability to manage risk.
- Experience with the implementation of accounting codes, general ledger account management, account reconciliation, account analysis, and preparation of financial statements.
- Ability to communicate complex accounting principles in simple terms.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of the decisions made.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other potentially-sensitive matters.
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties.
- Strong motivation and an ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and assignments.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or related field or equivalent. Certification as a Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is desired.
- 5 years’ experience providing Accounting Manager level financial and accounting oversight for nonprofit organizations desired. 501C4 experience preferred.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES ADVOCACY AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=ac3db27c-a187-40fa-b974-0902020e297a&jobId=261870&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001