Details: Salary is commensurate with experience, including benefits package.
6735 Telegraph Road
Hazon works to create healthier and more sustainable communities in the Jewish world and beyond. We’re the largest dedicated environmental organization in the American Jewish community. In aggregate we’re seeking to shift the nature of what it means to be Jewish in the 21st century – enabling and encouraging Jewish people to have an impact in the world and transforming Jewish life in the process. We are based in New York City and the Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Falls Village CT. We also have offices in Denver, Boulder, and Detroit.
Reporting to the EVP, the Director, Hazon Detroit will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Detroit Region’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The ideal candidate will initially develop deep knowledge of the field, core programs, operations, and business plans, including fundraising and donor landscape. The candidate will grow the impact of Hazon’s programming and develop a strong base of individual and foundation supporters. Collaborate on Regional goals and objectives development with the Detroit Co-director/Program Director.
Leadership & Management:
· Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
· Supervise staff to deliver the Michigan Jewish Food Festival, aimed to reach over 7,000 people and engage 125 organizations
· Actively engage and energize Hazon’s Detroit Region volunteers, program advisory council members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
· Develop, maintain, and support a strong relationship to Hazon’s national staff; serve as member of senior staff committee; build horizontal relationships to achieve Region’s strategic goals for both ongoing local operations as well as for the national organization’s health and sustainability.
· Lead, coach, develop, and retain Regional staff team.
· Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Fundraising & Communications:
· Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional and national emerging initiatives.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goals of a) creating a stronger brand for Jewish Commitment to Sustainability in Detroit and b)growing a cohort of young adult environmentally active, earth-based Jews.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities for collaboration for change.
Planning & New Business:
- Be an external local and regional presence that presents, publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication, and that advocates for JOFEE engagement.
· Proven leadership and management experience.
- Advanced degree with at least 5 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading programming teams’ ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with volunteers with the ability to build and cultivate relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403(b), flexible spending account, supplemental insurance, etc.
Minimum Education Required