Details: Competitive salary package
1500 North 2nd Street
Job Opportunity: Union Organizer with SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania Hospital, Nursing Home, and Home Care Organizing
Summary SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is looking for full-time organizers to join our hospital, nursing home, and home health care organizing teams.
About SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is the fastest growing, most dynamic organization uniting 45,000 hospital, nursing home and home health care workers from all areas of the health care industry. We are the nurses, caregivers, dietary workers, lab technicians and housekeepers who work in Pennsylvania’s nursing homes, hospitals, home health care, state health facilities and auxiliary health care services.
Together, we advocate to protect patient care and expand access to quality health care for all. We fight to improve our working conditions and make sure that the healthcare industry creates more good, family sustaining jobs. We organize in our communities for racial equality and social justice. We lift each other up and create pathways for ordinary nurses and healthcare workers to become extraordinary leaders for change.
We are part of SEIU, the largest union in the country and a leader of the Fight for $15 and a Union; together we are taking on corporate power and helping to build a wider movement for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Organizers perform a wide range of duties focused on empowering workers to stand up for themselves and join with their co-workers to use their strength to win improvements on the job and in the community. An organizer’s work often includes:
- Coaching workers to stand up for their rights and use their power in numbers to win
- Identifying, recruiting and training workers to become effective leaders
- Planning and facilitating meetings, rallies, direct action, and other ways for workers to come together and exercise their collective power
- Tracking and assessing organization building metrics
- Developing a basic understanding of labor law and regulations affecting union organizing
- Campaigning creatively around healthcare problems and other public policy issues that impact workers
- Creating relationships with issue stakeholders and workers’ allies to advance our shared agenda
- Helping workers tell their story through public speaking, video, social media, and other communications
- Using basic social media tools to effectively engage workers, built networks, and communicate
- A strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice and the desire to work hard to win
- Excellent ability to communicate, motivate and listen to people, and the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong community or labor organizing experience
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of accountability to shared goals
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends as necessary
- Computer and basic social media literacy, particularly Microsoft Office and database applications
Apprenticeship Program Newly hired Organizers without previous union organizing experience begin with a two-month apprenticeship program.
Travel All positions require a valid driver’s license, a car, and willingness to travel and work on the road as required within Pennsylvania. SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania provides mileage reimbursement at the federal rate and lodging when working away from home.
Location Union organizers may be based anywhere in Pennsylvania but are required to travel and work on location as campaigns require.
Compensation Competitive salary package and benefits including defined benefit pension (with contributions beginning after six months employment), option 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance.
Equal Opportunity: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Sharmika.Fargen@seiuhcpa.org
Benefits including employer defined pension plan (with contributions beginning after six months employment), option 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance.
Minimum Education Required