Part Time Temporary
200 Pine Street
Enterprise for Youth empowers young people to prepare for and discover career opportunities. Youth cultivate their individual interests and potential through training, guidance, and employment experiences in supportive and diverse environments.
The Summer Gardening Program trains 30 high-school age youth to work in one of three parks in San Francisco from June 11 – July 26, 2018. In addition to gardening and environmental stewardship, the youth learn teamwork and leadership skills.
Reports to: Program Director
Salary: $20.00 per hour, 20.5 hours per week from June 11 - July 26, 2018
- 8:45 am to 1:15 pm, Monday – Thursday, June 11 – July 26, 2018; 2.5 additional hours each week for administrative work. Facilitate workshops on two Saturdays in May/June, 4 hours each.
Position Objective: To supervise, support, and work alongside a team of up to 14 high school students in a seven-week landscaping and gardening project in one park. Parks include Buena Vista Park and Golden Gate Park (Stow Lake and Botanical Gardens).
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Recreation and Parks personnel in one park. Ensure that the gardening projects are appropriate and varied at each site.
- Ensure the safety of staff and crew members. Be available to handle emergency situations.
- Coordinate special events during the program including pot luck lunches, educational workshops, visiting the other parks and the final celebration.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Enterprise’s Program Director.
Duties as Team Leader for one park:
- Supervise, work alongside and assist high school students with gardening and park maintenance. Tasks include but are not limited to plant and brush removal, pruning, litter removal, trail reconstruction, planting local and native species and building erosion control structures.
- In conjunction with the Recreation and Parks gardeners, provide instruction in appropriate tool use, safety and gardening techniques.
- Be responsible for crew’s safety, job performance and morale.
- Facilitate two Saturday workshops in May/June and additional team building activities throughout the summer.
- Attend staff training and staff meetings.
- Work cooperatively with the park’s gardeners and Enterprise program supervisor and coordinator.
- Instruct and role model to student crew members appropriate workplace behavior and expectations. Enforce disciplinary actions as necessary.
- Keep records of activities to include work in progress, attendance and hours worked of crew members, and write a final evaluation of the students and the project.
- Facilitate an environmental education curriculum throughout the program.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in a leadership capacity with high school students from diverse backgrounds.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Proven ability to coordinate and lead activities involving several groups, working cooperatively in team settings.
- Horticulture knowledge and experience preferred.
- Accessibility to private transportation a plus.
- SF Recreation and Park staff will provide training on proper tool use and provide horticulture knowledge.
Health & Safety Requirements:
- Gloves and tools will be provided.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking on park trails. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to handle trees and plants throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required. This position may include lifting up to 20 pounds on occasion. Primary environment: outdoor park environment.
Enterprise for Youth is an equal opportunity employer and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Chapter 12T of the San Francisco Administrative Code. Applicants will be required to provide written consent to a background check after receiving a conditional offer of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Preferred if candidate spoke Spanish or Cantonese, in addition to English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter by April 27, 2018 to:
Helen Lee, Program Director
Please include "SUMMER GARDENING PROGRAM TEAM LEADER" in the subject line.