Details: The salary is £30,000
26 Holborn Viaduct
Shiva Foundation is a Meenal and Rishi Sachdev Foundation (MRS Foundation) initiative. MRS Foundation is a corporate foundation that aims to promote human rights through awareness raising, public education and partnerships. Shiva Foundation was set up in 2014 with the aim of tackling and preventing human trafficking and modern slavery in the UK. Our two focus points are business and community. We believe that if we can harness the power and influence of business, we can create an anti-trafficking movement that has the resources and capacity to fight this crime. Education and empowerment play a key role in driving social change; by supporting local communities and civil society organisations, we can build a comprehensive response to prevent modern slavery.
Over the coming months we will be developing our strategic direction for 2019 and beyond for both MRS Foundation and Shiva Foundation. Communications will be a key part of developing and implementing that strategy.
Shiva Foundation is seeking a Communications Manager to oversee the organisation’s internal and external communications. The purpose of this role is to expand the organisation’s online presence, to encourage action among our followers, to engage key target audiences, to support outreach for our programmes, and to ensure consistent internal and external messaging.
This is a senior level role with a high level of responsibility. The role includes developing a new communications strategy and brand identity, managing campaigns and supporting on outreach activities for our programmatic work. This role will be responsible for marketing initiatives, building strategic partnerships, and communicating our programme outputs in innovative ways to key audiences, including business leaders, policymakers, government officials, partners, media and the general public. The role may involve line management of interns and volunteers working on communications. Over time, and as MRS Foundation’s programmes develop, the role may be expected to support a broader remit and/or team.
Specifically, the Communications Manager’s duties include:
Strategic communications and marketing
- Developing and implementing creative communications strategies to help Shiva Foundation promote our work, to attract potential partners and to encourage action among our audience.
- Conducting regular audits of our social media activity and analysing audience growth and impact in order to inform the communications strategy.
- Drafting and overseeing publications and editorial content, including newsletters, articles, blogs, programme reports, website copy and annual reports.
- Creating content calendars and ensuring regular and consistent posting on all social media platforms.
- Managing audio and video uploads and channels.
- Overseeing the annual communications budget and ensuring its use is fully maximised.
Branding and website
- Developing new branding and key messaging to forward Shiva Foundation’s strategic goals; managing relationships with consultants and designers where required.
- Ensuring website and relevant online tools offer clear and compelling content that effectively supports Shiva Foundation’s objectives.
- Directing the redesign of the Shiva Foundation website in line of any branding changes; overseeing implementation of design changes with our website management team.
- Overseeing development and distribution of creative content including illustrations, videos, photographs, etc.
- Consult and co-lead with specific programme managers to set and implement communication goals that will help advance their project goals.
- Developing and leading the organisation’s internal communications strategy.
- Drafting and overseeing internal communications and newsletters as required.
- Contributing to strategic conversations and relevant output documents.
- Drafting briefing documents and talking points for staff on projects in advance of interviews and presentations.
- Developing relationships with key regional, national and international media to secure and grow media coverage both online and offline.
- Drafting and overseeing press releases.
- Generating coverage of Shiva Foundation’s work in the press, placing op-eds, and encouraging journalists to call on our team for expert commentary.
- Identifying opportunities for speaking engagements and other opportunities to further our strategic aim and cultivate relationships.
- Designing and overseeing panel discussions, parties, and other public events designed to raise Shiva Foundation’s profile.
Knowledge and Experience:
- An undergraduate degree (preferably in marketing, communications or journalism);
- A minimum of 4 years of progressive experience in a communications role for a similar organisation;
- A proven ability to lead the co-creation and implementation of communications strategies;
- Ability to think strategically with proven experience working on diverse and wide ranging communication strategies including all forms of media;
- An excellent understanding of how to use communications tools and techniques to increase the visibility, profile and reputation of an organisation;
- Management and leadership skills demonstrated by evidence of leading high performing teams and working with individuals at all levels;
- Experience managing social media and digital communications;
- Experience measuring the impact of communications;
- Knowledge of website management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate clearly with a range of people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Strong presentation skills;
- Comfort representing an organisation at external events;
- Proven ability to manage conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities;
- Ability to manage a heavy and varied workload effectively, to maintain high levels of both accuracy and output;
- Ability to work unsupervised;
- Knowledge of the anti-human trafficking sector in the UK is preferred;
- Demonstrated writing, editing and proofing skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to Shiva Foundation’s mission, vision and values; and
- Permission to live and work in the UK.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a:
- brief cover letter (no more than 1 page),
- CV, and
- writing sample of maximum 1000 words - this can be anything you have written in the past including articles, blogs or reports and does not need to be on the topic of human trafficking.