The Editorial and Communications Manager is the lead contributor to building an engaged community of readers and supporters through day-to-day management of the editorial and communications function at Shareable. While development of the editorial strategy is important, the core of the work is managing the editorial workflow for Shareable’s online publishing program and content distribution through all Shareable’s communications channels. There is also responsibility to support campaigns, online fundraising, and other public communication as needed with copywriting, copy editing, graphics, tactics, and strategic input. Producing engaging, high-quality editorial and communications on time and on budget is important to success in this role. The overall goal for this position is to help, along with other team members, to grow an engaged reader and supporter base through world-class editorial and communications. This role will collaborate with the Executive Director on analysis, strategy, quality control, performance improvement, and on a variety of public communication needed to support Shareable’s mission. As media is a dynamic industry, this role must be flexible in order to meet the changing needs of our organization and audience.
- Working with the Executive Director and other team members, develop an editorial strategy for Shareable’s unique brand of solutions journalism that inspires and empowers readers to take action in their communities.
- Act as primary coordinator between freelance contributors and freelance editors, assigning stories and producing stories on Shareable.net’s CMS.
- Lead Shareable’s editorial meetings, contribute story ideas, present reader submitted story ideas for consideration, make final decisions on story selection with Executive Director
- Manage Shareable’s editorial calendar, schedule all stories, and make sure there are adequate stories in the pipeline to meet our production targets
- Lead design process for editorial and communications assets.
- Assist with other editorial tasks, special projects and external client work as needed and approved by supervisor
- Recruit new freelance writers and editors as needed
- Work with Operations Director to ensure that all freelance writers and freelance editors are paid correctly
- Manage editorial budget
- Occasionally write sponsored content for the website in line with Shareable’s sponsorship policy and occasional posts as needed to support other duties like social media, reader engagement, and fundraising.
Reader Engagement & Fundraising (40%)
- Create and send Shareable’s weekly newsletter and email welcome series for new subscribers
- Work with Executive Director to send the monthly Shareable Insider newsletter to donors
- Respond to requests from readers via email
- Assist in promoting events, campaigns, Twitter chats, Facebook live streams, etc. for Shareable and Shareable’s partners through social media, newsletter, events calendar on shareable.net, and other channels as needed
- Support efforts to create a reader to donor funnel using social media and email marketing
- Assist with donor communication and campaigns as pertains to social media and newsletter channels
- Monitor shareable.net; making sure that the user experience is high and that crucial pages are working correctly
Social media & marketing (10-15%)
- Manage social media marketing plan; including assessing any budgeting needs for ad spending
- Share Shareable’s work on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram
- Respond to questions, suggestions, and requests from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube Instagram followers
- Compile weekly reports to evaluate growth and performance of various posts before the staff call on Mondays
- Suggest creative ways to spark dialogue about Shareable’s reporting on social media
- Create promotional videos for articles published on Shareable.net
- Monitor and update Shareable’s Google AdWords account making sure that we are in compliance with our grant. Create new AdWord campaigns as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities (5-10%)
- Depending on the interests and skills of the candidate, this position also offers opportunities to write stories and produce multimedia content for Shareable.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, writing, marketing or communications preferred, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 year of professional writing and/or editing experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Expertise in managing social media accounts for organizations
- Knowledge of Mailchimp, Wordpress, Salesforce
- Additional preferred skills/experience:
- Graphic Design (Adobe suite)
- Survey Monkey
- Google AdWords
Shareable employees work a 32-hour workweek Monday through Thursday. All full time (32 hour/week) employees are eligible for 10 days of annual sick time, generous vacation time, 10 paid holidays, and ICHRA reimbursement for medical coverage. Position is remote within the United States.
Salary range for Editorial and Communications Manager is $50,000-60,000 annually DOE.
Shareable is committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We encourage and welcome applicants of any race, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, class, religion, ability, or ideology to apply for this position. We actively seek applicants who identify at BIPOC, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and persons with disabilities. You can learn more about our mission, vision and diversity principles at https://www.shareable.net/mission-values-diversity-principles/