Lutheran Social Service MN is a dynamic social service organization serving children, youth and families, people with disabilities, older adults and military veterans. Trustworthiness is a value and strength shared by our employees and recognized by the communities we serve. We offer an ALIVE Workplace (Supportive, Positive and Fun) and careers that challenge, energize and rewards employees. Consider joining us!
LifeHaven is the only transitional housing program in the twin cities metro area serving minor-headed households. As a Sr Youth Worker, you will develop positive relationships with young families as they transition from homelessness to housing stability. This is a part-time position. Shifts are conducted evenings Monday - Friday.
As the Sr Youth Worker (Non-Driver) you will provide welcome, support, basic needs and encouragement to youth experiencing homelessness ages 16-24 or children and adolescents who have been placed in 24/7 shelter for care. You will also provide coverage to shelter during all open hours, conduct intake and support youth at time of departure, assist with the provision of basic needs and work with each child or youth to make a daily plan. The Sr Youth Worker provides a consistent, safe and supportive milieu to for each individual within an environment where the population served may present with a high level of need and the population served may change quickly and within a single shift. You will develop positive relationships with children or youth to help them identify immediate needs and/or plan or creating next steps toward stability and how to advance toward those steps. You will also respond to crisis and emergent needs of youth seeking shelter or children and adolescents being placed in care.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field plus 1 yearexperience working with youth or experience in lieu of degree preferred. Experience with homeless, at risk youth or children or youth who have been removed from their homes.
- Effective working knowledge of positive youth development, harm reduction and trauma-informed care preferred.
- Training and competency may be required in the following areas: (Requirements based on program and licensing standards).
- Blood Borne Pathogens,
- Child Safety Restraints
- Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI)
- Mandated Reporting
- CPR & FA for infants, children and Adults
- SUIDS and Prevention of Head Trauma
- Runaway Prevention
- Emergency policies and procedures
- Gender based needs
- GLBTQ needs and resources
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be able to pass a DHS level background check.
Lutheran Social Service of MN is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of all people regardless of gender, race, culture, religion, ethnicity, protected veteran status and/or disability. It is the expectation that all LSS/CHS employees will behave in a manner that is free of racism, discrimination, bias, and harassment where all individuals are treated with dignity, safety and respect.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
An electronic application is required and may be completed at our website:
Once at the website click on the "View Current Employment Opportunities" button and search by Category "Youth" or by requisition number 14492 with the Keyword Search box.
Should you have a need, Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota will provide a reasonable accommodation to complete the application upon request. To request an accommodation to support your participation in the application or interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.