Job Title: Operations Manager
Position: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: New York City
Reports To: Senior Leadership
The Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) is a racial justice and migrant rights organization that organizes and advocates to strengthen a national movement to end racism, criminalization, and economic disenfranchisement in Black immigrant and African American communities. BAJI’s headquarters are in Brooklyn, NY and with additional offices in Oakland, CA, Washington, DC, Miami, FL, Atlanta, GA, and Los Angeles, CA.
As a senior staff person within a growing organization, the Operations Manager will lead and maintain BAJI’s infrastructure, enabling the organization to expand its reach and engagement in the racial justice and immigrant rights movements. Specifically, the Operations Manager will lead “people operations,” knowledge management, and administrative planning and implementation, and support our financial, fundraising and internal communications. This position is internally facing and offers an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented, administrations and operations guru to use their creativity and innovation to further advance the infrastructure of one of the nation’s premiere human rights organizations.
Qualifications & Responsibilities:
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of BAJI and be driven by our mission.. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
The successful candidate will most likely have had management experience with a not-for-profit or for profit organization. As noted, this is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prized. Additional requirements are:
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including some P&L management in coordination with Executive Director and Chief Financial Officer; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Strategic Vision and Agility-ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch team and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Leadership and Organization-exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management—thorough understanding of systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, human resources, and marketing
- Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. BAJI is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please email resume, cover letter to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.