Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Position Title: Operations Director
Reports to: Museum Director
About Poster House:
Poster House is dedicated to presenting the impact, culture, and design of posters, both as historical documents and methods of contemporary visual communication.
Through temporary exhibitions, a growing permanent collection, educational events, and publications, Poster House explores the enormous impact of posters on society and culture, and how they continue to influence human behavior in the 21st Century.
About the Position:
The Operations Director is responsible for coordinating among the various departments at Poster House, and has direct oversight of the cafe and gift shop managers. The Operations Director is responsible for systematizing day-to-day running of the business, and supports the Director, Exhibitions, and Education teams. The Operations Director plays a critical role in operational decision-making, helping Poster House operate more efficiently and professionally. This position works closely with staff and outside consultants to manage the daily operations of the organization. Must be hard-working, capable, organized, creative, and dedicated. Poster House is a fledgling institution; the right candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of the process of building a new arts institution, and be willing to take on tasks outside of their experience.
- Manage the day-to-day museum operations at Poster House. This includes but is not limited to: overall museum presentation; coordination of schedules and needs among various departments; overseeing Security, Janitorial, and Reception staff.
- Working with the Director, implement and improve overall policies and procedures.
- Head up communications among all departments and establish a working order as Poster House moves into its new space and begins public operations.
- Effectively highlight and communicate staff issues to leadership team.
- Directly oversee Cafe and Gift Shop Managers to ensure daily operations are under control and communicate any issues to Director.
- Hire, set work schedules, approve timesheets, and manage performance of the Security, Janitorial, and Desk staff. Set daily tasks for these departments assign tasks required by Director.
- Uphold all staff to written protocol and gallery conduct.
- Manage all rentals of the museum space.
- Oversee large events that require multi-department participation including opening receptions, lectures, and educational events.
- Work closely with all external partners including vendors and deliveries for all departments.
- Alongside department heads, manage internal sessions to educate new employees on policies and the Poster House mission
- Responsible for emergency response systems and plans, utility services, and rubbish removal.
- Maintain clean and orderly back of house facilities and storage.
- Remain on-call 24/7 for any building emergency and first responder for any incident or inclement weather.
- Begin AAM accreditation process.
- 4+ years’ operations/property management experience working in gallery and office environments.
- 2+ years’ experience leading/managing a team dedicated to the smooth operation of gallery and office spaces.
- Familiarity with building rules and regulations, e.g., OSHA, building codes, fire standards.
- Familiarity with building trades (e.g. electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.), required.
- Valid Driver’s License, required.
- Knowledge of retail and service industries.
- Experience managing staff and freelancers.
- Experience with administration, budgeting, and logistics.
- Knowledge of climate control practices.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with a wide variety of people including superior written communication.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and adjust with change.
- Work is undertaken within an office, gallery and back of house environment.
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds.
- Full time permanent position.
- Poster House will open to the public in 2019. Until that time hours and work location are somewhat flexible. After the museum’s opening, hours and working days are subject to change.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Excellent employee benefits package provided by the museum.
Subsidized health care, healthy PTO package, 401k program
Level of Language Proficiency
English, Spanish is beneficial
Minimum Education Required