1616 P Street, NW
About State Voices
State Voices is creating a fair and just society by advancing racial equity and making our democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative. Our network of permanent, nonpartisan state coalitions works with hundreds of grassroots organizations to break down barriers to civic participation and bring underrepresented and marginalized populations - and their issues - to the center of public discourse.
Both nationally and in the states, we are nurturing a community of collaboration, innovation, and equity that builds the capacity of our partners and amplifies their impact.
Since 2008, State Voices has been a national leader in nonpartisan civic engagement. We employ the principles of collective impact, unifying change agents from different sectors around common goals to strengthen our democracy, building the capacity of partners with shared resources, and amplifying the voices of the underrepresented. We work in states to strengthen grassroots efforts by making efficient use of limited resources, promoting best practices, and achieving solutions no one group could achieve on its own.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 20 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations in the following states: Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and California through the San Diego Metropolitan Area table. We also train and support an additional 214 partner groups in at-large states through our Tools For All Program.
State Voices provides the organizations in our network with the tools and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy. We advance this work through three (3) national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census, redistricting and “clean elections”). For more information about State Voices, please visit www.statevoices.org.
State Voices seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented Director of Finance to manage the financial operations and compliance for the organization. The Director of Finance will be a hands-on, participative, and strategic thought-partner working closely with the senior staff, the Executive Director, and board members to support the organizational program goals with the strong financial systems.
Reporting into the Senior Director of Operations, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as a financial best practices resource for the state network
- Supervise Finance Associate
- Provide oversight & review of the organization’s accounting & payroll functions
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the organization’s accounts
- Prepare monthly budget-to-actual, cash flow, and ad hoc reports for management, including financial analysis and narratives
- Prepare quarterly reports for the board of directors and participate in board of directors’ meetings
- Coordinate and participate in quarterly budget reviews with senior departmental staff
- Participate in decision making process with State Voices leadership
- Complete financial reporting for development proposals and reports
- Prepare and distribute timely monthly reporting for the organization’s fiscally sponsored projects
- Oversee the organization’s employee credit card program
- Serve as the liaison between the organization’s auditor, payroll vendor and bank
- Work with the payroll vendor to prepare and distribute tax documents
- Set quarterly and yearly benchmarks evaluating the quality of financial management
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; advanced degree a plus
- Active CPA
- At least ten years’ experience in financial management & oversight, ideally in a team leader role
- Understanding of the complexities of a national, multi-state organization
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Strong analytical nature with a focus on the long-term financial health of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies
- Must possess excellent judgment & complete dedication to organizational compliance
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work appropriately and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate and build strategic partnerships with colleagues, board members, and vendors
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Experience with detailed project-level budgeting & long-term budgets
- Experience with accounting software conversion procedures
- Ability to oversee all financial postings of the organization
- Experience working with and preparing for auditors & tax preparation firms
- Experience managing payroll required; familiarity with benefits administration and compliance desired
- Experience working with payroll services with employees in multiple states
- Experience with maintaining organizational files
- An approachable nature and ability to timely handle questions and requests
- A sense of humor is a plus
Compensation: Competitive salary, including a generous benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include “Director of Finance” in the email subject line. No calls, please.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.