Details: Commensurate with experience
11 Park Place
The Office of the Appellate Defender (OAD) is New York City’s oldest provider of appellate representation to poor people convicted of felonies, and the City’s second oldest institutional indigent defense office. Since its founding in 1988, OAD has maintained a national reputation for superb appellate advocacy and innovation, as well as a holistic, client-centered, approach to representation. OAD has been repeatedly recognized by the New York State Bar Association, and the appellate courts, for excellent representation.
OAD currently seeks a Supervising Attorney to join its talented staff.
· Represent clients and supervise staff attorneys, pro bono attorneys, and law student interns on all aspects of client representation on direct appeal in the Appellate Division and the New York Court of Appeals, including case conferencing and strategy development, client communication and legal visits, brief drafting, oral argument, and leave applications.
· Represent clients and supervise staff attorneys in post-conviction matters in State court, including filing post-conviction motions and conducting hearings challenging the lawfulness of convictions and sentences pursuant to Article 440 of the New York Criminal Procedure Law, as well as engaging in reinvestigation efforts as necessary.
· Represent clients and supervise staff attorneys in hearings to determination classification level pursuant to the Sex Offender Registration Act (SORA).
· Represent clients and supervise staff attorneys in federal habeas corpus challenges to state court convictions.
· Advise clients as to all potential appellate options, including withdrawal of guilty pleas, where appropriate, as well as negotiating pleas or other remedies following reversal of conviction.
· Assist clients with parole proceedings and reentry preparation.
· Develop and conduct training programs for incoming staff attorneys and pro bono attorneys, as well as CLE and training programs for outside defender organizations and assigned counsel, on substantive, procedural and practice-oriented criminal law topics.
· Assist in supervision and management of staff attorney caseloads.
· Assist with Intake evaluation of cases.
· Participate in administrative and office policy development, including staff evaluation and recruitment.
· J.D. degree, with at least 5 years of appellate litigation experience.
· Admission to the New York Bar, or ability to secure immediate admission to the New York Bar pursuant to 22 NYCRR § 520.10.
· Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to representing poor people convicted of crimes.
· Strong belief in the value and importance of communication with and respect for clients.
· Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
· Supervisory and case management experience strongly preferred, with an interest in and commitment to the professional development, training and support of attorneys, legal interns, and administrative staff.
· Experience in trial court, particularly in post-conviction proceedings, is a plus.
OAD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, with a subject line in the email stating: Supervising Attorney Position.