The Director of People and Culture stewards City Bureau’s human resource policies and practices and ensures our work culture is healthy, strong and in line with our core values.
You should apply if…
- You love building relationships and helping people grow professionally
- You’re excited by the challenge of building processes in a rapidly growing startup environment
- You‘re always looking for ways to make diversity, equity and inclusion manifest in practice
Since 2015, City Bureau has been at the forefront of a movement to reimagine journalism as a public good. Our programs inform, engage and equip people to strengthen information systems in communities underserved by existing media. Since 2016 Documenters have logged more than 7,000 hours attending public meetings, surveying community information needs and crowdsourcing data-driven projects. Our program has also trained more than 600 people through free and public workshops on community reporting. See press coverage and process documentation at the application link.
Our Director of People and Culture will report to our Executive Director of Operations and work closely with the Leadership Team to craft organizational policies and facilitate HR processes.
In this role you will be expected to...
- Ensure CB stays accountable to our values and processes with regard to the way we recruit, retain, develop and manage our growing 14-person team
- Oversee HR processes and employee lifecycle, including hiring, evaluation and onboarding/offboarding
- Maintain and update our employee handbook and manager handbook
- Audit our internal policies and practices against goals for diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility
- Ensure all internal policies and any updates are effectively communicated to staff
- Foster a healthy and thriving team culture at City Bureau
- Facilitate full-staff meetings and coordinate twice-annual staff retreats; organize additional workshops and trainings in line with organizational development goals
- Manage internal communication processes between/within staff, leadership team and Board of Directors, including creating agendas for weekly all-hands meetings, and preparing materials for quarterly Board meetings
- Correspond with City Bureau board’s HR committee on employment matters
- Consult with leadership team and represent staff interests on decisions around organizational management, including goal setting, project tracking and evaluation
- Manage City Bureau’s Operations and Finance Manager to administer employee benefits and monitor risks to the health of the organization (legal, regulatory, etc.)
- 5-7 years or equivalent of experience in human resources and/or operations
- A track record of making racial and gender equity manifest in policy and practice
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent systems thinking skills: in this role you will need to take a holistic view of organizational policies and processes understanding that a change in one area may have impacts in another
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees; comfortable working in an ambiguous environment and able to balance flexibility with structure
- A reputation for integrity, transparency, and respect. Teams you’ve worked with before should trust you at the highest level
- Willing to become SHRM-certified within first year of employment (City Bureau will pay all associated fees)