Head, Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME)
- Job posted by Foundation for the Global Compact
The Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) is a United Nations-supported initiative founded in 2007 as a platform to raise the profile of sustainability in schools around the world, and to equip today's business students with the understanding and ability to deliver change tomorrow. Working through Six Principles, PRME engages business and management schools to ensure they provide future leaders with the skills needed to balance economic and sustainability goals, while drawing attention to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and aligning academic institutions with the work of the UN Global Compact. The Head, PRME will be responsible for leading the strategic development, implementation and evaluation of the initiative’s work including stakeholder, programme, and PRME chapter management. This position will report to the Chief, Programmes, UN Global Compact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the strategic development, implementation and evaluation of the Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative in partnership with key stakeholders in the higher education community including the deans of business schools, academic institutions; monitors and analyzes development and implementation of PRME and academic participants in the UN Global Compact including engagement of students; reviews relevant documents and reports by participating academic institutions; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Coordinates the development and roll-out of a new strategy for PRME aligned with UN Global Compact’s broader strategy; manages the PRME secretariat including providing supervision and guidance to team members.
- Leads collaborations with faculty and stakeholders of management-education institutions, by planning and facilitating workshops and interactive sessions, and co-develops relevant strategic action plans participating academic institutions will use to integrate PRME across their work.
- Provides substantive support to the overall preparation of large-scale forums and meetings of the PRME initiative and relevant UN conferences; organizes and facilitates the development of the event’s programme, partnerships and deliverables in cooperation with UN Global Compact Programmes Team; oversees all registration, sponsorship and administrative process related to events.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding of the PRME initiative and prepares related documents and reports including pledging, work programme, project budget, and funding proposals.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources relevant to responsible management education; prepares various written outputs including thought-leadership pieces, background papers, analysis, reports and studies on topics related to responsible management education.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations and studies relevant to responsible management education, corporate sustainability, and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Undertakes outreach activities for both PRME and UN Global Compact including relationship management with relevant UN partners; conducts training workshops, seminars, and makes presentations on responsible management education as they relate to corporate sustainability and sustainable development.
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries related to the PRME initiative and other assigned missions of the UN Global Compact.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Proven knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches of corporate citizenship and responsible management education. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Proven track-record of organizing large-scale meetings and conferences. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviors; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization's interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making, examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses, and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, social sciences, education or a related field is required.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in programme management, communication or stakeholder relations in management education. Experience working in academia, management education and multi-stakeholder environment are required.
- Proficiency in English is essential (full command on both spoken and written). Knowledge of other UN official languages would be desirable.
Minimum Education Required