Full Time Contract
Details: NJ LEEP offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
570 Broad Street
NJ LEEP is a four-year college access and success program working with 140+ high school students from underserved neighborhoods in the greater Newark area. In the fall of 2017 NJ LEEP launched our formal College Student Support Program. We help students perform at high academic levels by building skills through law-related and other educational programs, developing the habits necessary for college success and community leadership, and offering exposure to role models who have achieved professional success. NJ LEEP’s model is challenging and rigorous and 100% of NJ LEEP program graduates have gone on to college, including Amherst, Georgetown, Princeton, Rutgers, Wellesley, Wesleyan, and the University of Chicago. NJ LEEP has won national awards for program quality and innovation, and has been recognized at the US Department of Education and The White House.
This is a new position created as part of NJ LEEP’s 2017-21 growth plan and intended to strengthen NJ LEEP’s College Success focus, by serving as NJ LEEP’s lead team member on all college student initiatives. The College Student Support Manager will be instrumental in helping to support the 70+ NJ LEEP first-year and sophomore students enrolled in college. This includes staying actively engaged with students, tracking their progress, offering academic support and visiting students at their college campuses.
Currently NJ LEEP delivers sixteen programs to students, after-school, on Saturdays, and over the summer. The College Student Support Manager will be responsible for executing the development and expansion of NJ LEEP’s college support services. This position will entail working some Saturdays throughout the academic year (September – May).
· Maintain regular and consistent contact with NJ LEEP first-year and sophomore college students
o This will include: face-to-face meetings with students at least once per year (preferably on campus) and utilizing all available technology to connect and engage NJ LEEP students.
· Assist students with class selection, financial aid renewal, academic appeals and college transfer process
· Assist students in advocating for themselves to college staff and accessing other helpful campus resources
· Provide students with academic advisement
· Promote communication amongst students within and between different college years
· Support and promote NJ LEEP’s mission and serve as a role model to college students
· Provide additional support to other programming staff when necessary and other duties as assigned
· Lead all college student support programs and events
o Design, execute and refine first year and sophomore student programs
o Identify needs and plan programs to support junior and senior students in future years
· Create and build relationships with pertinent college/university staff to better connect our students with the support services available at their schools
· Act as a liaison between students and the NJ LEEP staff to help connect students to meaningful opportunities, internships and job placements
· Work with College Bound Program (CBP) to help identify essential college readiness and success themes to integrate throughout CBP within and between different college years
· Foster family awareness of the myriad of experiences their college students are likely to face
Tracking and Reporting:
· Collect, track and monitor all relevant data points, including: transcripts, current contact information, course selection of students and more, to ensure progress towards 4-year graduation and career goals
· Prepare reports on student progress toward NJ LEEP success benchmarks and present to full staff
Skills and Characteristics
· BS/BA degree from a 4-year college or university
· Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
· An understanding of the obstacles faced by first-generation and low-income students while pursuing a college education across various types of higher learning institutions (private, public, community college)
· Extensive knowledge of the financial, academic, and social skills necessary to be successful in college
· Experience in program initiation, management, execution and refinement
· Experience working in an urban education setting or community-based organization preferred
· Knowledge of the dynamics between community-based organizations and college students
· Experience with or knowledge in advising, supporting and retaining college students
· Experience using online learning platforms (ie.Blackbaud) or similar CRM systems
· Must have valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record, access to a car strongly preferred
· Ability to travel frequently throughout the year
· Demonstrated ability to multitask effectively and expertly prioritize
· Strong attention to detail and the willingness to take initiative in order to drive results
Professional and positive attitude with a willingness to contribute to a positive staff dynamic
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Razeya Rahman at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “College Student Support Manager.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible; applications received by April 15 will receive priority consideration. The projected start date for this position is Spring 2018.
Due to the volume of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
NJ LEEP is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.